🐶 わんわん探偵団 🕵 Home Thread - Doggy Detectives!

Week 15!

Final part of Story 2! :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Week Off :beach_umbrella: :grin:

Don’t forget that we’re taking a short one-week break before moving on to Story Three, which will start on 3rd August.

8 Likes

Week 16

We’re starting the final story! This is the shortest one in the book :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Week 17

6 Likes

Anyone buying on Book Walker - there is a deal on this weekend for Obon. They are giving 40% coin back, which assuming you spend the coins in the future is equivalent to 40% off. Offer lasts til Tues am Japan time.

3 Likes

Week 18

Final part of our final case!

6 Likes

Any plans yet on when we want to start reading the next wanwan book?

1 Like

Shall we wait to see what gets picked next for the ABC? If they line up another book next I might be inclined to take a bit of a break. We’d be starting right around the same time otherwise.

If not, we should give a pretty substantial lead time for people to get a copy; shipping is all messed up and book two isn’t readily available. Might as well time it to follow on precisely from Big Brother Rental, in fact.

6 Likes

Big Brother Rental is watching you?

4 Likes

So, 2nd week of November. That will suit me very well to have a couple of months’ break :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alright :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Week 19

Final solution! :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Week 20

I can’t believe it’s the last week :cry:

I’ll be posting some polls and so on about the book as a whole here once we reach the end of this week :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Is there still a wrap up thread coming? I’ve had tabs open for these threads so I’m waiting to close them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, sorry! I had an unexpectedly busy week but will try to do that tomorrow - they’ll be posted here, rather than in a new thread.

6 Likes

Wrap-up

I’m a bit behind with this, but hopefully that means that everybody really has managed to finish the whole book :grin:

Congratulations on completing わんわん探偵団 volume 1 :tada:

Thank you so much to everybody who participated in the discussions, asked questions and answered questions. I sadly found myself without much time for the last story, so I’m especially grateful to those who stepped up to answer questions. It was really fun to read this together with everyone.

…to the polls!

Which was your favourite of the three stories?

• Story 1 - 消えたデミキン事件
  • Story 2 - バラと天ぷら 事件
  • Story 3 - 忠犬タチ公 事件

0 voters

Did you enjoy this book?

• I did not enjoy it
  • It was alright
  • I enjoyed it
  • I loved it!

0 voters

If you’ve read one or both of the Kitty Detective books too, did you prefer them or this?

• にゃんにゃん :cat:
  • わんわん :dog:
  • I’ve only read Doggy Detectives

0 voters

Do comment as to why!

10 Likes
My thought on the artwork

Every detective series by author, I like the artwork in the newer release much better than the prior releases. Unfortunately, this means starting with the にゃんにゃん series is like starting dinner by eating dessert first.

I did enjoy the artwork, just not nearly as much as in the にゃんにゃん series.

moshika_051x nyan01_132d nyan01_132c

My thought on the cases

I realize these are stories for children, and because of that you want to have a certain amount of “obviousness” in them, but the cases in this book felt a bit too obvious to me.

The first case was the most difficult because there were various seemingly plausible variables in play (such as the murky pond). The second one was obvious (tall painter does up-high graffiti.) The third one can be difficult if you believe there’s a baddie outside the cast of characters, so I give points for that.

In comparison, I feel the にゃんにゃん series made better use of clues (such as determining who could and could not have kidnapped the kitten, Hanae’s first encounter with Mouse, everything with the painter.

And I find the first series, the ミルキー series, made better use of visual clues. Often times, when you reach the end of the case portion, you can go back and look carefully at the artwork on each page to figure out whodunnit.

Here’s hoping the second and third わんわん books are closer to either the ミルキー or にゃんにゃん books for me!

10 Likes

Even though at the end I was a little behind schedule, I am so happy to have completed this book! It’s the first book club I join and the first Japanese book I manage to read. Thank you all immensely, and specially @Radish8 for doing such an amazing work creating the posts and everything :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And to everyone who answered questions: you guys are the best!

About the book itself, I loved the illustrations and the humor, for me it was a pretty great children’s book, maybe because I didn’t have anything to compare it to. It’s true at times I felt it was maybe too obvious, but at the same time I understand I’m not the target audience, so it was fine. But I’ll definitely check out にゃんにゃん now!

11 Likes

I enjoyed reading this with everyone, thanks for running the club @Radish8!

I read the first にゃんにゃん before we started this one – but the cats didn’t feature nearly as much as I’d expected in that book!
The dogs played important roles in this one. My favorite dog was the one in the second story, but my favorite story was the third. I was very disappointed by the ending of the first story :sweat_smile:

Reading the first にゃんにゃん before this one, and also progressing in terms of kanji/grammar/vocab between the two books, made this one easier for me to read without using a dictionary too often – was more used to the writing style and knew what to expect. The pictures were cute and I enjoyed the book!

9 Likes

I finally caught up! (phew!) :sweat:

I enjoyed this book more than にゃんにゃん mostly because my Japanese was more advanced and I could understand more! I did also really enjoy that the dogs were much more involved in the cases. Case 1 (ending aside) was my fave because it was the most complex and also had the (familiar) Inspector in it.

Thanks very much to Radish8 for all your hard work - I look forward to the next one.

11 Likes