Pages 114 - 120

Story 3: 忠犬タチ公 事件

Start Date: 10th August
Last Week: Case Part 1
Next Week: Case Part 3

Doggy%20Detectives

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes

Aaaaah, I am behind! How did this happen

5 Likes

Seems like you’re not the only one, our readers seem to be dropping like flies!

Page 118

So Spitz has put down a big plushie in the garden and he tells Alan to attack it. He gets up, walks over a bit unsteadily and eventually bites it in the leg. Then Spitz says

おれがあるくよりおそい

(I am slower than walking) and concludes that the perpetrator will most likely get away. I don’t really get what Spitz’ walking speed has to do with it? Isn’t the point that Alan is a slow walker?

Page 120

When asked whether the dog is strong, he first responds with そりゃもう ‘oh yes’, but then it seems like he goes back on that, saying 人間をかみころすくらい、わけはありません, ‘there is no way [he is strong] to the extent of biting a human to death’. Am I misinterpreting something? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

3 Likes

I was similarly a little confused with what exactly Spitz was saying in regards to Alan in those pages

2 Likes

I was caught up but then had a week off where I didn’t keep up with reading. I’m gonna get back on track, I promise!

4 Likes

I’ve just caught up to the end of last week. Going to try not to fall behind again!

4 Likes

Page 118

This is a comparative sentence. The structure here I believe is: X が Y より Z(adjective). Meaning X is more Z than Y.

So I think it is saying that - Alan tottering over and attacking the doll, is slower than Spitz walking.

Page 120

I read the そりゃもう as a non commital phrase - something like “well, let me see”. Not sure if that is right.

わけがない is listed in Jisho as meaning “there is no way that…”, so assuming that わけはありません means the same thing, I think Spitz is saying, “He’s not so strong that he could bite someone to death”.

Also page 120

いまさら、やくたたずとはいえない。

I struggled with this, I think it’s:

いまさら - too late; now (after all this time)
やくたたず - useless
と - quotation particle
は - particle uses in negative phrases
いえない - I can’t say

It’s too late now, I can’t say he’s useless.

Finally 2 grammar points I had to look up that might be useful to others:

Page 118 にきまっている = surely, must be

Page 119 ことにする = to decide on

5 Likes

Ahhh, so you read it:
[おれがあるく] よりおそい
He is slower than [me walking]

I read it as:
おれが [あるくより] おそい
I am slower [than walking]

Now it makes sense to me :smiley:

That’s what I ended up with as well, I guess he feels like he’s too deep into the whole situation to back out now, so he might as well go along with it.

2 Likes

pg 114
アランならだいじょうぶです。

I have a mini-question, is なら here meaning “if”, so “He’ll bring Allan along from home. If Allan is fine.”. I recently added that grammar point on bunpro but it seems like the sentence here might be more straightforward and I’m over thinking it.

1 Like

なら relates to the word(s) that precede(s) it. Sometimes ‘if’ is a good way to translate it, sometimes not so much. Take this example sentence from Bunpro:

[ きみなら ] 、できる。
[ If you ], it can…?
[ As for you / in your case ], you can do it.

So I imagine he means: ‘If I bring Alan / If Alan is there, it’ll be fine’.

2 Likes

Thanks. I only just recently started reviewing that lesson on bunpro and still get caught up on it a bit (and all the different ways you can say “if”, “as for”, “for”).

2 Likes

pg 120
公園の門は二つあるので犯人がどっちへ逃げていくはわかりません。

Is this か actually used to make the previous clause have a questioning tone? My translation attempt “Because the park has two gates, it’s not known which one the criminal will escape towards.”

I gotta say, 奈良さん is looking suspicious. I also really loved the descriptions/training of アラン.

4 Likes

Yes, it turns it into an indirect question.

He asked: “what time is it?” (direct question)
He asked what time it was. (indirect question)

3 Likes

I didn’t find anything on my first search but I think this is the relevant page on bunpro. I guess the は now seems out of place in わんわん but I’m not going to over think it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that make the whole question the topic? “As for [the question] which one the culprit will escape towards, I don’t know”.

I don’t have a bunpro account to read the grammar link, but my understanding was you don’t need a は after the indirect question before you put the verb (e.g. わかりません、知りたい). So I would guess the は after か is there as a contrasting particle, marking the negative sense of the sentence (“we don’t know”).

1 Like

page 116

。。。年をとって、うごきがのろくなり、もう、やくにたたないと捨てられた。

Just wanted to mention that I found this grammar point for なり. So I think this part means something like When/As soon as he (Alan) grew older and his movements slowed down, before long, he wasn’t useful anymore and was abandoned.”

おれは庭のすみに大き人形をおくと、指さして命令した。

In the vocab sheet すみ is translated as “to take into one’s care”? Maybe someone filled into the wrong line? I think すみ means “corner” in this context. Just want to check if people agree with me or if I’ve missed something here.

page 120

そりゃもう。

Maybe this could also mean "Well, not anymore."? That other guy asks if Alan is strong and with this answer and the following sentence (well, he is not THAT strong anymore, not to the extent of biting someone to death) maybe Spitz is kind of hinting at his lie here but still being hush hush about the truth…?

2 Likes

So I’ve probably got it completely wrong, but I translated it as “So much that he’s bitten people to death, with no reason.”

2 Likes

Well that escalated quickly. Though, with the dead fish (story 1 spoiler) and abusive grandpa (story 2 spoiler), why the hell not? :joy:

2 Likes

I wonder if you were to say that whether the sentence would be the other way round, starting with something like わけがないで or わけがないのに?