よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

The ねー is ない the なー is sentence ending
so 意味ない => 意味がない => has no meaning
So literally “Flourists have no meaningなー” which conveys the translation you gave.
Which is a valid observation after seing the fireworks. Why would anyone look at flowers if they can have the beautiful firework flowers to look at ^^

5 Likes

Thank you so much! That is really helpful!
Thank you @downtimes! Much appreciated!

Could she be refering to Yotsuba (the little girl), not the clover? How do you know which thing is being referred to?

2 Likes

1 Like

The two clues here are:

• She says 久しぶり, meaning that Asagi hasn’t seen (something) in a long time. She sees Yotsuba all the time.

• She’s shown looking at the clover immediately before the comment.

4 Likes

I guess I was overthinking it. Thanks.

1 Like

It happens =D

I just noticed a third thing to look for, and most important:

• The こーゆー (こういう) refers to something near the speaker that was being talked about (こういう, “speaking of this”).
4 Likes

Does anyone find Yotsuba more challenging to read due to the lack of Kanji?

3 Likes

First, Yotsuba takes your WaniKani progress and throws it out the window. Then she mispronounces an occasional word to really throw you off.

Undoubtedly, she’s a weapon meant to break those of us learning Japanese as a second language.

7 Likes

When it’s in katakana as well, they’re just toying with our lives. It’s a good thing other characters are also just as confused and clarify.

3 Likes

Hello again :sweat_smile:.

It’s just that I was having trouble understanding this sentence (said by fuuka p. 54): 明日行くのはお母さんのお母さんの方のおばあちゃんなわけよ。

here is what I do understand: 明日行くのは (As for tomorrows going) お母さんのお母さんの方のおばあちゃん (grandma from [my?] mother’s mother’s side)
I’m not really sure what “なわけよ” does there. pretty sure “よ” is of emphasis but no sure. What does her grandma from her mother’s mother mean anyways? Can someone please help?

Ah boy, that page. Think we all remember that page.

The meaning is reasonably straightforward - it’s the grandmother who is their mother’s mother that they’re going to visit tomorrow. The 方 is emphasising that it’s the mother’s mother rather than (i.e. an invisible より) the father’s mother, while the わけ is essentially marking the conclusion of the argument that she’s making “So it’s that we’re visiting…”

3 Likes

So it’s basically “understand it from context until you get used to it” type of sentence?

Well, it’s Japanese - kinda everything is understood from context. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think it’s also because Yotsuba has only one granny, which is through her father’s. So the author makes that distinction known.

Hello again! :sweat_smile:

page 136, first panel asagi says: お父さんて影うすいから時々忘れちゃうね。In short, I know what all those words mean (thanks for the vocab chart btw, it helped immensely). But I’m not really sure how they fit together to form the sentence.
Here is what’s I got so far:

1. お父さん=father
  2. Pretty sure, て is a sort of “weak” topic marker.
  3. But is 影 (a noun) modifying うすい (an adjective)? does it give us “shadowy pale”?
  4. から=from (indicates reason)
  5. 忘れちゃう=忘れてしまう=completely forget.

So do we get: As for (my) father, because (he is) shadow pale, I completely forgot (him)?

2 Likes

There’s a tiny little arrow on the word balloon showing that Asagi’s the speaker here. Mangaka Azuma doesn’t always make it easy on us :wink:

I think (and I may be wrong) there is a particle dropped (left out) from between 影 and うすい. I read this part as her saying his “figure” has the quality of “not much (of a presence)”.

2 Likes

Huh, I knew it was asagi speaking, why did I write father? Anyways, sorry about that. lol.

Another thing I’m unsure about is, when I wanted to translate the sentence to english I noticed, why is the verb in the affirmative form? Shouldn’t the past be more appropriate?

Thanks for the answer!

1 Like

I suppose being past-tense would suggest it’s no longer the case. But I have a feeling her father will eternally be low-presence.

is that foreshadowing? lol.