ゆるキャン△ Vol. 2 🏕

Clint Eastwood is an outlook-type campground, don’cha know?

But yeah, though the real place is named Pinewood Campground, in the manga, it’s Eastwood.

5 Likes

Clint standing on an outlook-type campground with a cigarette and poncho flapping in the wind is very fitting.

1 Like

I googled it and found this in a blog:

(Source: https://junexha.blogspot.com/2018/10/10.html?m=1 )

8 Likes

Th… that’s a ginormous beehive. Why did Afro have Rin comment on it but now show it ? Why did Rin do nothing more than raise an eyebrow? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, there’s several interior shots of this room on Google Maps, how did I fail to spot it?

That’s a pretty impressive blog you’ve found, though.

Well, interestingly enough, the anime moves this conversation about campground types to before the visit to Zebra, and in its place, they’ve included a scene of Aki scouting out a different campsite, and running into just such an Eastwood-type character, albeit without cigarette or poncho. I can’t remember if the scene appears later in the manga, but the character does, so I’ll say no more. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking, I didn’t think it was tooooooo out of place :joy:

7 Likes

11 - 冬キャンと四尾連湖

Start date: August 8th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

2 Likes

Just a quick reminder to anyone who’s read/watched further ahead: The names, and to a lesser extent genders, of the other campers in this chapter and the next are spoilers, so try not to post them in the clear. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nothing new in terms of real-world locations this week - they’re still where they were last chapter. That said, if anyone wants to answer Rin’s question on page 103, here’s a photo of the stone in question. This might be one for the Deciphering Stylised Kanji thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://goo.gl/maps/QmNwiv4gTPg581p56

Ohhh. That’s why the cow ghost appears in the middle of the night - because it’s 丑=牛 time. Not sure why the third-quarter of the “hour”, though. And oh boy, that screentone. Took me forever to figure out what’s going チャリン in the third panel - it’s Nadeshiko tossing a coin into the pile at the base of the stone.

Page 106, I love how the 貸し切り状態 joke from way back in chapter one has been modified to (ほぼ)貸し切り状態. And heh - 丑三つ時2時

Page 107, is グリーンサイト a technical term in camping circles, or does it just mean plots with grass? Google’s not coming up with much for me, so perhaps if someone with a stronger search fu can find anything…

Page 109, for some reason I find Nadeshiko’s “Oh…” quite funny. There’s just something about the incongruous English. I remember a chapter of Yotsubato a few volumes back in the club where Yotsuba delivers a flat “No.” in English to Yanda, and it just cracks me up. (Less amusing note, our favourite translator Amber Tamosaitis somehow read the が in お高いですが as a か, so she’s translated it as “Are they… expensive?” That doesn’t even make sense! か and が aren’t the same! It’s a “but”! “But they’re expensive”!)

7 Likes

What a cool grandpa Rin has :smile:

p. 126 - very last panel, does anyone understand what she says or is it completely gibberish? Haha

2 Likes

Not so much gibberish as really slurred. I’ve tried to see if I can make any sense of it - I can see a ほんま in the middle, for example, but this is so slurred that I think I need to start with at least some idea of what someone would say in that sort of situation, so that I can derive it in reverse, but I’ve got nothing.

We could try starting from what the English version says, but considering the other… issues I’ve spotted in the English version, it’s also possible that Ms Tamosaitis just made it up out of whole cloth. It’s Ohey, I’bb been bere wadin’ whi’ you wen where!!

3 Likes

On page 120 Nadeshiko says そろそろプチ鍋の下準備しとこっと. I think しと is してお contracted (so you get a form of おく), but what is (お)こっと?

(I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread and it won’t let me post the same thing twice, so now I have to type this little appendix so the post is sufficiently different :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

っと is a way to ask oneself a question/ express uncertainty while talking to oneself.
Full explanation (in Japanese):
https://www.alc.co.jp/jpn/article/faq/03/238.html

Basically she is saying “it’s about time I start preparing […] I guess

8 Likes

Thanks! So I should read it as しておこう + っと?

It seems pretty similar to っけ, right?

5 Likes

Yep!

And it’s similar to っけ in the sense that you are talking to yourself, but the meaning is different. With っけ you are not sure about an information, or you forgot something. With っと, you are not sure about a decision, if you should do something.

9 Likes

Praise the sun for a new day week has come!

12 - 湖の夜とキャンプの人々

Start date: August 15th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

6 Likes

Once again, they’re still where we left them, but… from page 142, Lake Hamana is here, and Nadeshiko probably lived somewhere on or near Bentenjima - it’s the only place from which you can see Mount Fuji across lake Hamano that’s still within the borders of Hamamatsu City… plus, the bridge shown in the second panel is here.

I was in the middle of lamenting that I couldn’t hope to guess the location of the panel at the top of page 143, when I randomly decided to try one last location, plonked down the Street View man, and found this. This may not be the same location - this is the wrong side of the road, and from the correct side, Fuji appears to be behind the noise barrier (or perhaps it was just completely obscured by clouds that day), but it’s a rather pretty shot all the same. Rin’s comment doesn’t help - to get from Hamamatsu to Minobu via Shimizu, you’d have to go somewhat out of your way.

Not… not much else to comment on this week. Someone else get in here and make comments instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, wait, I do have one query: on page 128, Rin comments that Nadeshiko’s dish is more like nabe than soup, which Nadeshiko justifies by saying that since the meat is the main dish, her ingredents needed to be a step below. But surely the side dish should be soup, and nabe would be a main dish?

8 Likes

I don’t know. I feel like nabe (especially with a lot of vegetables) would match meat better than soup :thinking: but yes, nabe could be a main dish (if it was bigger I guess)

4 Likes

My favorite panel this chapter is the Blanket Secret Society :laughing:

10 Likes
Hides spoiler just in case because why not (page 138)

I like how Nadeshiko got so excited about the yummy meat that she ended up putting too much on top of the tiny grill.
Nadeshiko: じゃんじゃん行くよーっ image
image Rin-chan: じゃんじゃん のせすぎた。

8 Likes

Well, this chapter was some excellent exercise for my salivary glands… drooling out of my mind

7 Likes

Yay, I’m back and caught up. Hello again everyone :wave:

11 Likes