ゆるキャン△ Vol. 11 🏕

Volume 11 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 13th November
Previous: Volume 10
Next: Volume 12

Laid-Back Camp 11

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date                   Chapter                                                        Page Numbers   Page Count
November 13th 58 - ゆで卵を目指して 3 - 26 24
November 20th 59 - 畑薙アタック‼︎ 地獄のデスロード 29 - 52 24
November 27th 60 - 焚き火と谷の夕暮れ 55 - 78 24
December 4th 61 - 今夜はプチ牛まつり 81 - 104 24
December 11th 62 - おサルは温泉に浸かるため吊り橋を渡るのか 107 - 130 24
December 18th 63 - それじゃあまた、いつか 133 - 156 24
December 25th 番外編 - へやキャン△ 159 - 176 22

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And here we go. Having typed (and thus read) the schedule of this book, I feel like mystery food is going to remain a mystery for a little bit longer.

58 - ゆで卵を目指して

Start date: November 13th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

3 Likes

So, I posted last regular chapter (possibly a little pre-emptively) that Nadeshiko gets her dam curry at Uemaru. Looking at photos on Google now, I almost reconsidered, because the ceiling of the dining room doesn’t resemble the one shown on page 5, but then I came across this image, which shows that Uemaru, at least, thinks that it’s Uemaru in the manga. Also, this is the dish she’s eating. (Oof, the Street View image of this area dates from 2014. No wonder I can’t find the place.)

In her description of the curry, Nadeshiko mentions Nagashima Dam and Shibuki Bridge. She also mentions Okuoikojo Station, though (spoiler alert) she’s going to visit that later, so I won’t link it now. She gets her ice cream from this place.

On page 13, based on my googling, 志摩の先っちょ appears to refer to Konpirayama.

Nadeshiko gets off at Abt-Ichishiro Station (“Abt”, in case you’re wondering, comes from the name of the rack-and-pinion system that’s used between here and Nagashima Dam Station, which in turn comes from the name of its inventor). The bridge at the top of page 16 appears to be the Ichiyo Suspension Bridge, but how she wound up there, I’m not too sure, though the map at the bottom of the page does show her leaving the station to the south…

The campground is located over here. The tunnel is here. Unfortunately, this area seems to be lacking any street view, so I can’t explore. The decorations inside the tunnel are probably real - there’s only three photos of the place on Google Maps, and one of them shows some sort of… something.

Heh, I’ve already linked Nagashima Dam. Whoops. (Don’t eat the dam, Nadeshiko.)

Today I learnt that Nadeshiko’s おいしゅうございました on pages 5 and 7 are a slightly formal and somewhat archaic way of saying おいしかったです.

Page 24, what is Nadeshiko doing in the second and third panels? Steeling herself to step onto the suspension bridge?

Proper nouns:
Page 6
奥大井湖上駅=おくおおいこじょうえき

Page 12
三重=みえ (prefecture name)

3 Likes

The cliffhanger is still going…

On the other hand we got

2 Likes

My favorite uses of that しゅう ending are in the (old) set phrase ご機嫌麗しゅう and 苦しゅうない.
I have jokingly used the second one a few times (on the forums too, if I remember correctly)

That’s literally what I came here to ask. I think she is voicing 無理です while pressing on her face. For some reason.

1 Like

Wait, it’s been a week already? It feels much shorter.
Oh, I only read the previous chapter a few days ago, that’s why.
This week, it sounds like we are going to 畑薙.

59 - 畑薙アタック‼︎ 地獄のデスロード

Start date: November 20th

0 voters

2 Likes

Oh, back to the bike pair.

The chapter starts near Lake Ikawa. Specifically, at this petrol station - the street view’s from 2018, but in more recent photos, it’s now an Eneos station. I’m not sure I could pinpoint the road at the bottom of page 29, though.

I’ve posted it before when they mentioned it in dialogue, but the Ikawa Bridge on page 32 is here. Starting on page 33, the place where they eat lunch is here.

Yanbushi Pass (mentioned in dialogue) is here. You can drive from Rin’s place to the oden restaurant over the pass, but at an average speed of 20 km/hr, according to Google - even avoiding highways, it’s still twenty minutes faster going via the coast (though, I guess, at the maximum speed of Rin’s scooter, she probably wouldn’t save that twenty minutes).

Starting at the bottom of page 37, the 七つの「タシロ」 are here (and ooh, this does look kinda scary). And wouldn’t it be spooky if there turned out to be only six tunnels. Nah, there do seem to be seven tunnels, but 第3トンネル (which appears at the top of page 39) is little more than a cover between a pipeline and the road.

At the bottom of page 39, they arrive at the main Hatanagi Dam - it’s 45.5 kilometres drive from Senzu station. Page 42, the limit of where they can ride their bikes is here (that weird signpost can be seen in this picture). From there, they walk to the Hatanagi Suspension Bridge - it’s 2.7 kilometres away (or roughly a 5km round trip, as Aya said). Google’s got some really pretty pictures of this bridge. And some really scary ones. (Fortunately for Aya’s fear at the bottom of page 48, the bridge is rated for fifteen people.) Caution, bears.

Having survived their adventures, they finish the chapter at Shirakaba-sou. Here is the establishing shot at the top of page 50. (And yes, as the narration points out on page 52, it’s 34.2 kilometres from the campsite.

Dunno why it’s coming up now, but on the omake page, Ikawa Daibutsu is here. And yeah, it was apparently carved by a dentist over a period of four years.

Is that all that’s noteworthy about it?

Page 30, today I learnt that “litre” can be リッター as well as リットル. 319 yen for 2.2 litres corresponds to $AUS 1.74/L, which just a little more than what we’d pay here, but not by much. Think the last time I filled my car it was about $1.64/L, though I’m not sure if scooters take the same type of petrol. In any case, it’s about $US 4.81/gallon.

Page 34, heh, マッチポンプ again. And apparently Aya’s telepathic now. Is Minobu well-known enough that someone in the middle of Shizuoka would know that it’s a town in Yamanashi?

Page 35, oh yeah, that time she visited Lake Amehata. That was a while ago…

Well, you also made the post a bit earlier than usual, but hey, I’m going to be busy tomorrow, so I might as well post now too. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Are we finally getting everyone together?
I don’t know, but I hope they do by 夕暮れ.

60 - 焚き火と谷の夕暮れ

Start date: November 27th

0 voters

4 Likes

Oh hey, didn’t notice the extra omake image on page 54. Image. It’s… somewhere near the daibutsu, but I can’t work out exactly where. The sign next to it says it’s a statue of Bishamonten, so unless Bishamonten was a statue-carving dentist…

And back to Nadeshiko. On page 55, she’s arriving at Okuoikujo Station, and oh boy do I want to visit this place so much. I mean, just look at it. Though by the following page, she’s already at the Okuoikujo Station Lookout Point.

Then she goes back to the campsite, which I’ve linked before, so that’s that, I suppose. Though, I wonder if I can find images of more specific locations. Like, here is the ash pit on page 60.

Oh wait, a bonus location. The caption in the second panel of 61 refers to the Nirayama Reverberatory Furnaces, for some reason. I mean, I do see the resemblance, but… In any case, it’s a UNESCO World Heritage site, as of 2015.

Page 62 first panel, Nadeshiko’s face… Also, today, I’ve learnt the English verb “baton”.

Page 65, I really think she should have left some of them un-split, for long-term burning. Also, how’d she split the last one without a baton to use in her batonning?

Page 78, oooooo, the hamburgers.

Proper nouns:

Page 61
韮山反射炉=にらやまはんしゃろ

4 Likes

Is the special thing about them that they are 100% beef?

3 Likes

Who knows? Perhaps we shall find out next week.

3 Likes

That in itself is special in Japan (it’s usually 50% pork 50% beef), but the shape is also uncommon, and the suggestion to warm the package before opening it is probably a clue too.

2 Likes

Look at me playing random kanji games on Discord instead of posting updates.

61 - 今夜はプチ牛まつり

Start date: December 4th

0 voters

1 Like

Lots of recipes this week, and not a great deal of going places. They don’t even talk about other places, besides Hatanagi, where they were last chapter.

Though, Aya calculates on page 98 that she rode 180km - I calculate 190km. Rin rode 194km, so I guess this place is a fair bit more equidistant between their two houses than I thought. Presuming Aya lives somewhere near Grandma’s place.

Page 80, in David Attenborough voice. (I wonder if Japan has an equivalent for David Attenborough…)

Page 81, how exactly does one measure the temperature with that meat thermometer without puncturing the vacuum seal on the bag? Also, the proximity of Nadeshiko’s hair to the burner flame makes me uneasy.

Page 87, would a hamburger really hold together if held in the air on the end of a skewer?

Page 91, if the hamburgers can do that to Rin, I kinda want to try them. Googling turns up this, and maybe this (though the packaging doesn’t really look the same).

Page 94 final panel, it kinda looks like someone’s about to wind up with a lap full of beef stew…

4 Likes

Pretty sure they are measuring the water temperature 「63度に保ったお湯で約30分湯煎します」

5 Likes

This time, I was preparing random kanji quiz decks instead of reading this manga.

62 - おサルは温泉に浸かるため吊り橋を渡るのか

Start date: December 11th

0 voters

2 Likes

And the adventure continues.

This week they’re starting in Sumatakyo Onsen. On page 107, Nadeshiko gets off the bus at this stop (note the building on the right), glances into this building, then finishes the page at this bus stop (street view - I’m guessing that tower is some kind of fire watch tower). Did she get off at the wrong bus stop?

I’m not going to try to guess what bridge they’re crossing on the title page - they do cross a similar-looking bridge later in the chapter, and that may be the same one. Either way, the バイク組 start page 109 here - it’s 10.8km from the campground. Unfortunately, street view doesn’t quite cover the whole town, and photos on Google are… imprecise, but I’m fairly sure they park their bikes at Kyumuso (though, one of the photos on the building itself does show this dog). They find Nadeshiko over the road at this place. Imomochi.

The 足湯カフェ is right next door, here. (Sakura tried to tell Nadeshiko about this place way back at the start of last volume, but Nadeshiko wasn’t having any of it - I don’t rightly recall if I linked it at the time. Probably not.)

Pages 116-119 have a whole lot of locations which I might be able to find phots of if I search through the uploaded images on assorted markers around the place (for example, the first panel of 116 is just visible in the background of this image, here is the second panel, and here is the tunnel on page 119), but aside from a few photospheres, view points are a bit sparse, and street view is nonexistent. Sarunami Bridge (on page 118) is here.

Their main target, however, (and probably the bridge on the chapter title page) is Yume no Tsuribashi… and I’m fairly sure I linked that before, sometime when Aya mentioned it. (Fun fact - it’s not the only Yume no Tsuribashi in the area - the other one is here, on the way from Ikawa Station to the dentist-carved daibutsu.)

On page 122, Rin mentions the Muso Suspension Bridge (more dreams?), and though in the photos it doesn’t look in great condition, it doesn’t seem quite so bad as the image shown here. On page 123, the dam Nadeshiko spots is the Oma Dam. Top of page 125.

Page 126, lunch is at Benitake before retiring to the open-air baths on page 127. The rest of the chapter is basically the locations from when they came into town, but in reverse.

Page 113, is putting one’s hands in a footbath something that one typically does in polite company? Especially when using said hands to eat at a cafe?

Page 114, anyone know what ブッピガン is doing in that sentence? According to what I’ve found via Google, it’s a sound effect that appeared in Gundam Wing, but the sentence as a whole perplexes me. Rin, too. And in the last panel, what’s 市代 doing?

Page 123, I was idly wondering how many phones are lying in the water under that bridge, then I turned the page and discovered Aya (?) wondering the same.

5 Likes

Doing other things and falling behind agaaaaaain :notes:

63 - それじゃあまた、いつか

Start date: December 18th

0 voters

4 Likes

The 最後の吊り橋 is Shiogo Suspension Bridge. Don’t ask me how Nadeshiko got there first - sure, Shiogo Station is right at one end of the bridge, but she needed to get a bus and a train, whereas the other two were on bikes. Last panel on page 141 is here - from here until the end of 146, they’re actually on the station platform.

The extra bonus bridge is the Horai Bridge, supposedly the world’s longest wooden pedestrian bridge. The pylons are concrete, though, because the bridge kept getting washed away every time there was a flood. I admit I’m not at all sure where you’d need to stand to get a view like the first panel on page 149.

The tea house they visit is here.

Nadeshiko heads home via Kakegawa Station, yet still somehow almost beats the other two home. I guess since Kakegawa is a shinkansen station, she could have saved as much as half an hour by taking the shinkansen to Shizuoka Station, but I don’t really see her doing that. (Also not entirely sure where she’d buy ハンバーグ near Kakegawa station…)

Heh, Aya on page 145 amuses me a bit. Metaphorical scarf streaming in the wind, “I’ve taught her everything I know; she doesn’t need me any more.”

3 Likes

I was wondering why the post for this week wasn’t up yet when I realized it is only friday. Well merry christmas to you guys and happy cake day to @Belthazar

4 Likes