ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 3 Discussion 🧹

thank you so much “helpful durtle”! when did that happen?

am I mistaken…was it angry aya or something before? I could be mixing them up…

2 Likes

Thanks! For it to be cut this way, I would rather have expected そんな though?
(Of course, these things tend to be omitted in spoken Japanese, I’m just trying to understand what the fully correct sentence would be.)

3 Likes

It was! I went for an image change. Those are simply titles that I get from some of the badges given to me by admins. I can switch between them as often as I want. (Contrary to unique titles, which are permanently lost if you change them)

Ah, no, I didn’t understand the way you were cutting things. I wanted to put emphasis on the fact that 気を遣う is a unit, while the way you explained そんな気 seemed to cut it appart.
But yes, grammatically そんな qualifies 気 here. But interestingly そんなに would have basically the same meaning.

2 Likes

Ok, peace of mind is restored :slight_smile: Thanks for the reply!

Sometimes I really think these breakdowns and translation attempts confuse things more than they help… but I don’t really know of a better approach to point out / explain / ask about things :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Just finished reading just in time for next week. This week was busy and I was sick. ;_;

I really liked how derpy this chapter was!

Summary

I really loved how she worked so hard to get the dumb-faced mandrake out only to be shot down cold. XD XD

My favorite new word is absolutely 方向音痴. We’re getting a car next week and my husband hasn’t driven for at least 5 years (he’s what we call a “paper driver” in Japan) so I may be using it soon.

I read it as something like “It’s like we need to keep it as secret as much as possible. Probably.” Is that alright?

5 Likes

I’m absolutely 方向音痴, but I have no problem driving, since I have a GPS :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup.

3 Likes

For a moment there, I thought this comic was going in a different direction.

Alternate Ending

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this… :slight_smile: helpful durtle sempai!

Sorry for parsing it wrong :frowning: I don’t mean to make it more confusing than it already is… just seems people are too chicken to ask the same questions… (or I’m dumb and have more questions than most)…it’s probably the latter :man_shrugging:

But in my defense…aside from some of the confusion and struggling to get back to something that makes sense, I do feel like there are less grammar questions (for me this time around) and that overall I am getting a much better handle on what’s happening in the story.

4 Likes

If anyone has a question on returning grammar that came up in an earlier chapter, but they’re not too confident with yet, don’t hesitate to ask for clarification on its meaning and usage.

Having the same grammar points come up from time to time makes them more visible to everyone reading through the thread, and going over another explanation of previously covered grammar in a new context can help even those who feel comfortable with it get to know it better. Kind of like a poor man’s spaced-repetition.

Although I missed out on doing so last week, that’s why I like to write up a post highlighting a few of the grammar points of the current week’s reading. Even if no one was going to ask about them, it’s still useful as a review/refresher.

4 Likes

I very much appreciate you doing this! The other ones were very helpful!

2 Likes

here’s another one… :slight_smile: haha fun…

page 59 - p59 middle panel all the way on the left

There is itty bitty text there…I think I figured out the text but trying to figure out which さす this is…

さすが東北 (that last kanji looked like hiragana!)
or is it さすが (all together) as one would expect

help? onegaishimasu!

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s さすが

2 Likes

so it’s “as expected touhoku?” …but I’m missing the actual meaning… :frowning:

2 Likes

I believe 東北 is the region where Makoto has moved to (where Kei and Chinatsu live). So, she’s saying “just as you’d expect of Touhoku” with it being a more countryside like region. (Remember, when we was going to go shopping before, she also expected there to be some small shops, and was surprised at how big their store was.)

6 Likes

Sometimes “sasuga” is used simply as a form of praise of complement. She’s new to the Touhoku area and is talking to a local, so she’s probably just adding a nice comment about the area. So it’s like saying “Wow, these are super rare! Touhoku is pretty great” except saying “東北はすごいね” would make her sound superior to the area. さすが東北 has the same feel, but it puts her in the lower position.

4 Likes

Oh, sorry, that was more me thinking aloud about my own breakdown attempts, not yours! :scream:

And apart from that, no need for you to be sorry! You’re learning, just like I am, so we make mistakes - some people even say that learning only takes place through making mistakes :smile:

5 Likes

at the moment that might be debatable… haha

This is from the Week4 post…but umm…I remember this from the anime… Me thinks this doesn’t bode well for me … 心配している!

3 Likes

For anyone fortunate enough to not be familiar with the heady fragrance of ammonia: it smells like three-day-old grody rotten socks. Think if anyone tried to hand me a present that smelled of ammonia, my reaction would be the same as Nao’s, regardless of whether it also had fatal screams or was poisonous.

Indeed. They’re in Aomori, the northernmost prefecture of Honshu (and Tohoku).

8 Likes

I tend to associate it with the smell of rotten fish, with an acrid finish.

4 Likes

these are funny :slight_smile: that’s funny I’ve always just thought ammonia was it’s own specific smell…never thought it smelled like anything else …Maybe have spent too much time around it as a cleaner as a kid (my grandma and mom used it a lot)…or maybe it’s because of all the chemistry/chem eng stuff…

1 Like