ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 2 | Chapter 10 🧹

Chapter 10: 千夏の決意

Start Date: 7th March
Last Week: Chapter 9
Next Week: Chapter 11

ふらいんぐうぃっち Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

For a character who’s travelling the world and is basically impossible to contact, Akane sure does appear in a lot of chapters.

Also, are we going to peg the scene back in chapter 1 where Makoto flies with one hand on the top of the broomstick and one foot resting against the bristles down to Early Installment Weirdness? :slightly_smiling_face:

Page 92 fifth panel: 華の高校生? Wazzat? I mean, it’s clearly a thing, because the top Google result is a hashtag on Twitter, but I can’t seem to find anything explaining it.

8 Likes

I think it means a top student. I found this in a reply to a query about which kanji to use (花 vs 華)
「華」は、そのグループの代表とかグループの中ですぐれているもののこと。
(火事とけんかは江戸の華)

9 Likes

Hah. That was one of the clues in the crossword book I’ve been working on.

1 Like

I just finished the chapter in one go, yay.

I don’t really have a lot of questions and I’m not sure if that’s good or bad. I feel like the biggest hurdle is all the vocab I don’t know, long sentences or sentences with a high dense of weird grammar points. I go through ichi.moe with most of the big sentences/sentences I’m not grasping and check translations as reference after I finished reading the chapter. I do understand what they say, it just takes a bit of time with plugging it into ichi.moe and looking up words/grammar. But it feels like I’m progressing, despite depression and stress stuff. My enlightenment and master % is atrocious though T_T

Page 98

人から魔女になるって相当大変だから下手したら人としての人生すら送れなくなることもあるから

人から魔女になるって相当大変だから - It is rather tough to go from a human to a witch
下手したら - if you’re unlucky
and now I’m a little lost
人としての人生 - life as a person
すら - even
送れなくなる - I realized now that I go through it again in this manner, the なく is 無い, so it’s “result in not being able to live one’s life”
こと - nominalizer
も - too
ある - to happen
から - because

soo… if you’re unlucky it could even result in not being able to live one’s life as a normal human?
I’m not sure what to make of the final から, since the “if you’re unlucky” already has one. The から at the end of sentences often trip me up.

Oh, this なく was also my problem with the short sentence on page 97: なるなくはないね - it’s a double negative, “It’s not impossible”

4 Likes

Possibly an implied “… so maybe it’s better not to try.”

2 Likes

I think the からat the end is implicitly tied to けい’s question. If you read the first だからas internal to the explanation, and stick a まずい at the end of her sentence…you have a really unwieldy sentence

page 100

私…弟子取りとかしてないしなー
I get the overall thrust of this but I’m struggling to parse the second half.
軽々しくいいよとは…
And the same with this bit…

2 Likes

My interpretation is the following

弟子取り => taking an apprentice
とか => Grammar construct that adds vagueness “Something like taking an apprentice…” (Bunpro link, Wasabi link)
してない => This is している, “to be in the state of doing”, in its abbreviated (してる) and negated form (してない) => “I am not currently taking something like an apprentice”
し => This can be used when someone is giving or explaining reasons (Bunpro link, Tae Kim link)
な => This is sometimes used as an ending-sentence particle instead of ね. (Tae-Kim link)

I parsed this in the following way:

軽々しく => 軽々しい careless, rash, thoughtless, in adverbial form (as in, it is going to modify a verb instead of a noun).
いい => good
よ => sentence-ending particle that adds emphasis.
と => quoting particle.
は… => topic particle, with an implied clause.

So, basically here we have a quoting particle; this is converting “いいよ” into a quote. In this case saying “いいよ” refers to accepting Chinatsu’s request of apprenticeship.

‘Carelessly (saying) “sure!” is… (a bit problematic / wouldn’t be a good thing / …).’

The second part is implied; this happens very often when someone is trying to turn someone down in japanese, as they prefer to avoid bluntly rejecting someone.

8 Likes

Ahh, this was the missing link! Thanks.

1 Like

p88 – 貸してみ is short for 貸してみる、right?

I think so, but maybe a conjugated version like 貸してみて or 貸してみなさい. I don’t have context, so I can’t say for sure.

1 Like

Yeah.

It’s a common contraction in Osaka-ben (though given Akane hasn’t been making a practice of speaking in Osaka-ben so far, this line probably isn’t deliberately Osaka-ben).

1 Like