ふらいんぐうぃっち Vol. 8 🧹

Not sure about your first three questions…

I believe this is:
入る => to enter
入れる => can enter
入れない => cannot enter
入れなくなる => become unable to enter
入れなくなってしまう => Regrettably become unable to enter
入れなくなっちゃう => Informal version of てしまう
入れなくなっちゃいます => Masu form on ちゃう
入れなくなっちゃいました => Past tense: Regrettably became unable to enter.

I believe this is やればいい…

1 Like

That would be my best guess as well (or maybe とか??) but really not sure about this one.

びょん means something like 多分 or だろう according to this source.

I took this to mean “it has a service mentality”, i.e. it made a sound just for you, to make you happy.

Yep, agreed, and also backed by this post:

2 Likes

とか crossed my mind as well…

Anyway, thank you @NicoleIsEnough and @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz !

2 Likes

Chapter 48 – 夏の始まり、排球の屍

2020-12-11T15:00:00Z

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

Beginning of summer, closure of volume 8.

1 Like

A couple of questions please meow~

Page 155

My interpretation is that 片側空けて乗る means to ride (the escalator) by staying on one side and leave the other side empty. However, Makoto’s reply confuses me. “あんまりやっちゃいけないらしいんですけど” I think means “However it seems doing that is not a very good thing / a thing one shouldn’t do”.

I can’t imagine why riding the escalator in one side and leaving the other side empty would be a particularly bad or dangerous thing, so I suspect I am interpreting something incorrectly in this scene.

Page 169

I can’t seem to find what the meaning of 引きで撮る means…

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

Yen Press’s interpretation is “You’re not actually supposed to walk on it, though”, though I confess I’m not completely sure how they arrived at that (or, if it’s accurate, how Makoto arrived at that).

1. 写真撮影で、カメラを後ろへ下げて撮影すること。または、後ろへ下げる空間的なゆとり。「引きで撮る」「引きの写真」「引きのない場所」

(source)

3 Likes

Oh! Now, this seems to start to make sense :slight_smile:

Maybe

So the first girl says that the city people ride the elevator so that one side remains empty.

Then Makoto says “You should actually not do that.”

And that would make sense if she was thinking about why one would leave one side empty, and that’s so that other people can walk there. So with this understanding やる doesn’t refer to the standing on the one side but to the walking on the other side.

But I honestly don’t know whether it would be normal to have such jumps in the thought process.

One other theory might be that she says one should not leave one side empty so that others are not invited to walk there, so you keep them from walking for their own benefit, so to speak… ?? (But that wouldn’t match the Yen Press translation particularly well :woman_shrugging:)

4 Likes

According to this article, this habit leads to reduced efficiency (not as many people ride the escalator at the same time). It also mentions increase wear-and-tear over time from not being load balanced on a step (all weight on one side), although I don’t see how one person on one side would be worse than two people on the same step.

Then again, maybe they have a point about everyone being on one side, if everyone is on the same side, and the other side doesn’t get even wear-and-tear.

My best guess is they wanted to replace a “Japanese know this is something not to do” with a “Westerners know this is something not to do”. (And I gather in both cases, people do it anyway. I know I walk up the escalator if there are no stairs, and no one else is on the escalator. In my defense, I’ve never heard not to do this until reading that article I linked to.)

4 Likes

Now that you mention that, I could imagine that when a person stands on one side, then the step is tilted slightly, which might add to the wear and tear because it does not slide in exactly the way it is meant to, but with a slight angle to it, so there might be some chafing on the edges or something. Then, if this happens every day in the same fashion, that might influence the durability indeed.

I never expected Manga to extend my knowledge in this way tbh…

2 Likes

Oh that’s very interesting and makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the insight!
Also thanks to @Belthazar and @NicoleIsEnough!

2 Likes

Came here for questions and didn’t even need to ask to get answers. :sweat_smile:

Quite the different chapter. I really like this change from the usual. Too bad it was the last chapter, though/ :frowning:

2 Likes

I feel like you’ve all over thought the whole escalator thing after seeing the yen press translation :sweat_smile:

What’s wrong with just taking it at face value?

“City people stand on one side of the escalator, don’t they”
“Yes. I’ve heard that you shouldn’t though”

makes perfect sense to me…(and we all know how arbitrary some translations are)

pretty much this. I’d be surprised if it has a huge effect, but it’s probably more than enough for the company operating it to notice.

3 Likes

Haha I read my post again and I must agree with you :laughing:

3 Likes

Finally finished…that last chapter had me in creases :rofl:

3 Likes