のんのんびより: Chapter 5 Discussion

I didn’t ask, but I’m inclined to believe it’s more silliness. You wouldn’t normally count something if it wasn’t there. But they seem to be doing that.

Yeah, but it seems to come up in more than a few Google results, so I was thinking it might be some kind of thing.

The first result is an article about your question…

Really? I’m pretty sure I’m missing something, then, because I read it as “I don’t really get it, but it dates from the Edo Period”.

教えてください、先生。

I didn’t read the article, but I don’t see how I (or a random native I know) would know better than someone who took the time to write something about it.

The article you and Leebo are talking about says it is a thing, and specifically where does that thing come from. Apparently it was already a thing in the Edo period.

2 Likes

I quit.
I just finished chapter 3. So now I got to read chapter 4 and 5 and in a day or two 6 and 7 is “going live”. It’s just to difficult for me. It is not insurmountably difficult, but there’s just no way I’m going to be able to catch up at this pace. So I’m not even going to try. I like the series a lot though, and I bought the whole set, so I’m going to read it all in the hopefully not to distant future. But reading along isn’t an option.

This probably belongs more in the beginners book club home thread, but whatever...

I’ll probably skip natsume as well. I didn’t really feel the anime. But if it’s easy enough, I’ll read along anyway. Somehow I doubt it. I will focus on staying a jour with ARIA. ARIA isn’t easy either, but the difficulty (thus far) has been just right. If there’s any room for it I’ll read some nonnon biyori. So make sure to have a lot of discussions so that I will benefit from it in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

:pensive: sorry to hear that, tessberg

I’m also struggling, and just reading whichever chapters I can - I figure the order doesn’t matter too much in a series like this so if I have to skip some for the sake of sanity that’s not the end of the world. Maybe you could join the discussion for the bonus chapter at the end or something :blush:

That’s a shame, but I understand. The pace is tough, especially while also reading a chapter of Aria each week. Going from one chapter per week to three = not fun.

1 Like

You should at least give chapter 4 a read. I guarantee you’ll enjoy it.
But i hear you. Aria is a more pleasant experience.

1 Like

That’s true, chapter 4 was quite entertaining.

1 Like

That’s probably because Aria’s premise is “find enjoyment in everything”, while Non Non Biyori’s is “let’s squeeze as much humour out of an eight-year-old girl who looks eighteen as we possibly can”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like のんのんびより, although, while fun, it is a little forgettable, I guess.

4 Likes

Though it’s kind of funny that in this chapter Komari rented some 癒し系 movies, which is basically what Aria is supposed to be.

2 Likes

Aye, that’s basically my take, too. Fun but forgettable.

Hah. I thought of that while I was reading the chapter, but completely forgot while I was writing my previous post.

1 Like

ご注文はうさぎですか is twice as entertaining and not at all forgettable. But it’s also much harder! :laughing:

But yeah, I agree. I’m one of those people that didn’t love the anime either, though it grew on me over time. At least it’s good reading practice. :man_shrugging:

Not to offend, as I haven’t seen/read it, but from what I’ve seen, it’s not my style at all. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

To each their own. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m back!
Sort of… I’m going to give it one more shot. I’m going to skip straight to chapter 8 and read ahead from there as much as I can. Hopefully, when the rest of you guys get there, I’ll be able to keep up until the end of the volume. If I skip 夏目の友人帳 there will be time to go back and read the skipped chapters at my own pace… Unless you guys decide to start reading vol 2. Then I’m royally screwed again.

This made me change my mind. I don’t like the situation, but you are right, weighing the pros and cons It’s not the end of the world to skip a chapter or two (or four :slight_smile:). Plus I’m not sensitive to spoilers, so skipping around won’t affect the entertainment value negatively too much.

I promise! :slight_smile: I was going to finish the volume anyway… just not within the scope of the book club.

3 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada: :tada: :tada:

Hooray! That’s really awesome :blush: your plan sounds like a good one; even if you don’t have time to get too far with it, at the very least you’ll be able to join in with the chapter 8 discussion in the (sort of) last week ^^

Too much slang / dialectal speech for me personally :fearful:

1 Like