のんのんびより: Chapter 2 Discussion

That’s one of the reasons why it’s best to write out the text you’re asking about.

Also, it’s pretty easy for your memory of the story to fade when there’s basically no story. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What the heck? :joy:

れんちょん’s weirder than I thought.

Also, I have to remember to take this reading with a grain of salt.
I started a Japanese class last week, and, even though I would like it to be that way, the lack of particles in informal speech is not something I should try in real life, at least not yet.

On page 21, I get the gist of most of what is being said, but what does she mean by あんまり聞かない?

うちの学校小中同じ教室っていうのもあんまり聞かないし。。。

Also, is she saying that her sister said,

"It's amazing how, if you go 50 km/hr in a car, you'll arrive 50 km ahead in an hour."?

前に姉々が車で時速50キロ走れば1時間後にちょうど50キロ先に着くからすごいなぁって言ってたし。。。

:joy:

Ah, I think I got it because of the next page, does she mean that there are no traffic lights in the countryside?

Then 夏海 says that it’s not only on the countryside but also on the freeway?

That last panel. :joy: Poor れんちょん.

Edit: Added the text to save myself the scolding. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, yes, and yes. :+1:

Renge’s reasoning is that since there’s no traffic lights they must be in the countryside. And Natsumi rebuts her by saying that highways have no traffic lights either.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the extremely quick reply, any comment on the first question? :stuck_out_tongue:

And you’re seeing the benefit already because now I can answer this. :wink:

It’s basically saying “you don’t often hear”. So the whole thing would be something like “also, you don’t often hear about schools like ours where the elementary and middle school kids are in the same class”. (loose translation)

It’s worth mentioning that the し at the end is for giving reasons, in this case reasons why she thinks they’re in the countryside.

2 Likes

Aaah, got it, got it. :smiley: Thank you very much!

Should’ve paid more attention to the っていう part. I was like, she doesn’t hear well? In the classroom? :joy:
But then remembered that it would’ve been 聞こえない.

Yeah, got that grammar point covered! :+1:

Also, this chapter was so short, and it took me an hour. :joy:

2 Likes

Hi bookbuddies! I’ve been away all weekend so only just catching up with things.
Could someone please clarify what Natsumi means by 「あんだって?」 on p18? Is it actually 案?

I love the way Renge says にゃんぱすう as if everyone else should just know what it means, and I like the translation I found Good Meowning. I just read that にゃんぱすう won an award: 2013年のアニメ流行語大賞で金賞!

I also like the way both the cow and the farmer are chewing the cud on p20, and in general, how seriously the girls are taking the discussion about whether or not they live in the country. Proof that you can justify anything if you try hard enough. :joy:

3 Likes

I took it as a slurred なんだって, but I have no idea if that’s right.

See I miss stuff like this by mostly skipping over sound effects. :frowning:

I wondered that too. Maybe “What did you say?”
It makes sense in the context.

1 Like

Impressive, but I can’t see where on that linked page the award is mentioned.

Edit: Wait, found it.

MOE-33

5 Likes

Any idea what にゃんぱすー would be without the にゃん part? Meaning what is she starting with before turning it into that?

Probably おはっす = おはようございます (I confess I’m not completely sure if that’s a contraction that exists, but it feels like it works).

Kind of impressed they’ve actually got Seven Seas’ translation of the term listed on the page.

1 Like

I have tried googling, but this is the kind of thing I find:

まず意味を説明します。
「にゃんぱすー」とは、アニメ『のんのんびより』でれんげという一年生が作った挨拶。
『アラレちゃん』の「おはこんばんちわ」みたいに、いつでもつかえる造語です。
そして…………えっと、それだけです。

(From here)

1 Like

I found that one too, but It’s like, duh I already knew it was made up. I wanted to know what it’s based on! :laughing:

The only thing from it I was wondering… Is おはこんばんちわ also a made up thing that kind of trying to be a combination of おはよう and こんばんは (not sure what the ちわ would be) to be the anytime-use greeting?

こんばんは+こんにちは= こんばんちわ (or こんばんにちわ)
The わ should be written は, but that would be extremely confusing, I guess.

1 Like

Makes sense… But then it’s not in consecutive order (morning, day, evening) and that makes me sad.

1 Like
1 Like

Slowly catching up!

Page 21

Bottom panel

一応言っとくと
普通なら時速50キロで
走っても赤信号あるから
一時間後に50キロ先には
いけないってことですが

Don’t really think I needed to type all of it out :sweat_smile: Just wondering what the 言っとくと bit means exactly, in the first line?

Also, generally, is ら used as a pluralising suffix in the same way as たち in this dialect? There are a number of places where people say things like 私ら and ウチら (like page 23).

It’s kind of short and sweet, but also my brain just starts filing everything under “eh, probably dialect” after a while, so I’m probably missing a lot :grin:

Really interesting to read about the possible origins of にゃんぱす - I always just assumed it was total nonsense when I watched the anime…

4 Likes

言っとく = 言っておく, which I was hoping would turn out to be a set phrase, because my brain isn’t quite putting together the grammar bits at the moment. It’s not…

Yep. Actually, ら is used as a pluralising suffix in most dialects, though it’s a little bit impolite in standard Japanese.

1 Like