しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

I have seen 「あと、〜」or 「後、〜」in context when customers are ordering food. Usually they use it to mean, “Also, 〜” when they have first ordered one item, and then would like to order another.

Example from Satori Reader:

では、それを4人前お願いします。あと、お茶を4つお願いします。
“Then, four servings of that please. Also, four teas please.”

6 Likes

I think it is best to translate it as “it is a crisis”.
“there is a crisis” would be 危機があるよ
we can also say “it’s a crisis, you know” to take よ into consideration

6 Likes

I was looking for the anime on youtube to have an idea of how the chars speak and behave, and found this Let's Read Manga in Japanese #Shirokuma Cafe ┃FULLY in JAPANESE - YouTube she’s reading out loud and giving explanation in Japanese.
I just started the first pages, my first book, and considering she said this is the best/easier for beginners… she scared me to death.

4 Likes

That’s no “she”! That’s Misa of Japanese Ammo! The best Youtube Japanese teacher there is!

(Thank you for the link! :+1::grinning:)

4 Likes

@jaearess - you are a star! An absolute star!

I love the way you set out your sentence breakdowns and translations. And the way you go back and add the strike-throughs and corrections is genius, and must also be a lot of work. You have my gratitude and admiration!

4 Likes

Bis version, page 12

• Panel 1

• Panda: …それはドジョウ
      • それ - That
      • は - (topic market)
      • ドジョウ - loach
    • Panda: That’s a loach
  • Panel 2

• Panda: それはコショウ
      • それ - That
      • は - (topic marker)
      • コショウ -
    • Panda: That’s pepper
  • Panel 3

• Panda: それは勲章
      • それ - That
      • は - (topic marker)
      • 勲章 - medal, decoration, order (as in an honor)
    • Panda: That’s a medal
  • Panel 4

• Panda: それは合唱
      • それ - That
      • は - (topic marker)
      • 合唱 - chorus
    • Panda: That’s a chorus
  • Panel 5

• Panda: もー

• もー - jeez, come on, etc.
    • Panda: Jeez

• Shirokuma: まあまあ

• まあまあ - “Now, now” (in the sense of telling someone to calm down)
    • Shirokuma: Now, now

• Panel 6

• Shirokuma: どうせサカナ食べないじゃん

• どうせ - in any case, after all, anyway, etc.
      • サカナ - fish (written in katakana)
      • 食べない - don’t eat
      • じゃん - isn’t it (contraction of じゃない)
    • Shirokuma: You don’t eat fish anyway, do you?

• Panda: まあね

• まあね - Well, I must admit, etc.
    • Panda: Well…

• Shirokuma: キャッチ & リリースさ

• Panda (thinking/commentating): キャッチ & リリースさ

• キャッチ - Catch
      • リリース - Release
      • な - right?, isn’t it?, you know, etc. (equivalent of ね)
      • さ - (assertive emphasis)
    • Shirokuma: We’re doing catch and release, right?

• Shirokuma: We’re doing catch and release (Might be a different way to phrase this to account for the さ particle.)

• Panda (thinking/commentating): We’re doing catch and release (Might be a different way to phrase this to account for the さ particle.) (Thanks @NLeseul!)

• Afterword? text (only in the Bis version)

• Little bear cupcake thing: いつか「本名」が知りたい…
      • いつか - sometime, someday, one day, etc.
      • 本名 - real name
      • が - (subject marker)
      • 知りたい - want to know/be aware of, etc. (“want to” form of 知る, to know/be aware of, etc.)
    • Little bear cupcake thing: Someday, I want to know their real names

And, chapter two done!

10 Likes

Isn’t that さ rather than な at the end? I have no idea what さ would mean there, but it doesn’t have enough strokes to be な.

Edit: Also, I think that’s Panda’s thoughts/commentary, rather than dialog from Shirokuma, since it’s written in the scribbly font. Even though he doesn’t eat fish, he was still upset that Shirokuma ate the one he caught, because he was planning to release it.

5 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. No idea why I thought it was な, heh. Though I could barely read that particularly text to begin with.

I think さ just makes it more assertive.

1 Like

Tae Kim’s Guide:

「さ」, which is basically a very casual form of 「よ」, is similar to the English “like” in that some people throw it in at the end of almost every single phrase. Of course, that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily a very sophisticated manner of speech but just like using “like” all the time, I cannot deny that it is an easy habit to fall into. In that sense, due to its over-use, it has almost lost any specific meaning

5 Likes

Okay, that makes a LOT more sense. I thought it was weird Shirokuma was saying that after having eaten the fish. I only thought maybe it was supposed to be ironic. Also makes sense why it was hand-written (or supposed to look hand-written) and harder to read than everything else.

1 Like

All right, here are links to all the translations, for anyone who needs a reference.

Page numbers are all for the Bis version, but I think so far the original version is the same.

Nested list of links

List of direct quoted posts

Page 5, Panel 1, Dialogue 1
Page 5, Panel 1, Dialogue 2
Page 5, Panel 2
Page 5, Panel 4
Page 6, Panel 1, 2 and 3
Page 6, Panel 4
Page 6, Panel 5
Page 6, Panel 6 and 7
Page 7
Page 8, Panel 1 (first half) and 2
Page 8, Panel 1 (second half)
Page 8, Panel 3 dialogue
Page 8, Panel 3 additional text
Page 8, Panel 4
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12

Let me know if I missed anything/made any mistakes!

31 Likes

Wow! Just wow!

1 Like

I know it may be asking for too much, but how about instead of linking to the other posts, you copy them and hide them so one post has everything? :sweat_smile:

I like the idea of linking them better because it gives more context (i.e. the discussion that happened around the post) for how we came to that translation.

1 Like

That’s true.

Why_not_both

You could also quote them and hide them, then you can go to the post if you want to. :open_mouth:
Do quotes work like that? :sweat_smile:

Summary

Apparently so.

1 Like

Okay, I added a list of quotes to my post. I was hoping to be able to keep it in the same nested format as the links, but that style doesn’t work with lists, so I just made it a separate section, so there are both the list of links and a list of quotes.

The quotes also link to the original post, so in the future I’d probably just do the quote style, if I hadn’t already done the list of links.

4 Likes

Now the only thing I see is that this type of text doesn’t work well on quotes.
I also had some trouble with that before.

1 Like