しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Welp, no one seems to want to touch the next panel; it’s pretty complicated. I guess I’ll get it started, if this is how we’re proceeding. Page 8, bis version. The dialog, at least:

Shirokuma: 「あっそ」 “…I see.”
Panda: 「歩けばそれなりにあるんだよ」 “It is some distance, if you walk.”

歩けば—Conditional form of 歩く
それなりに—Cthulhu*
ある—It exists
んだ—Explanation/elaboration
よ—Adding new information

Came up with a couple of pages here and here on それなりに, but it seems to be one of those things that’s just a bit difficult to explain easily in English. What I gather from those pages is that it’s kind of analagous to “it is what it is” or “it is something” in English… The implied subject of the sentence is the distance from the house to the cafe, so it’s kind of suggesting “The distance exists as something of a distance” or the like. I think. Definitely would love to see a proper explanation of that point from someone who knows what they’re doing.

There are some scribbly annotations in the panel as well, and a sign on the house, but I’m terrible at reading those things, so I’ll let someone else try to identify the kanji involved.

Edit: Checked a couple of dictionaries, and あっそ seems to be more of a neutral/disinterested comment than a questioning one. “I see” is probably a better translation than my original “Really?”

6 Likes