かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 24

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 24

Start date: May 7th, 2022

This week we are reading another section of the 三月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 241 (at a blank line, see end phrase below)
End page (tanko): 465
End phrase: 心から、そう、望む。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 23
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 25

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-05-15T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

Oof, Fuuka’s tale really is the most tragic of all so far, I feel. The high expectations of her mother but then the crushing realisation that she might not actually be good enough, that she is a financial burden on her family and that she probably neglected her schoolwork too much on top of that. It was a really moving tale and told well. It feels as if the author has a personal connection to this story. Thankfully there was a 喜多嶋先生 in Fuuka’s world as well.

It struck me this week that names were spelled with Kanji when they were pronounced by adults. I thought that that was an interesting touch. I don’t know if that is more common? It’s not as if the pronunciation is different, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

I also have one mini language question: near the end, アキ says 「そうしなよ」 Is that basically short for 「そうしなければならないよ」(or the equivalent)? That seemed to fit the context.

3 Likes

It’s basically そうしなさい in short form. I’d provide a link on the topic if I were in a place with better reception. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It is common. The pronunciation is technically slightly different, with the kid having, well, a kid enunciation.

Edit: oh, it also depends on the age. It’s also common to indicate that someone doesn’t know the kanji used in a word.

4 Likes

I was like 2 weeks behind (3 with this one) and was planning on catching up slowly but after the mirror exploded I couldn’t stop reading and I caught up in one afternoon? How does that happen? I guess with enough interest I can overcome that annoying reading fatigue. And I’m not even sure I can stop at this point… but I’ll try. If only because I have other things to catch up to.

8 Likes

Same! And… I didn’t stop. So now I use all that reading time to catch up on other things :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I know what you mean–for some reason this is one of the only books that doesn’t give me reading fatigue. Unfortunately since I’ve been kind of behind in my reading for the past few weeks I’ve let myself get the most behind on this because I know I could catch up in one productive afternoon. With other books getting even a week behind could prove unrecoverable.

5 Likes