かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 23

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 23

Start date: April 30th, 2022

This week we are reading the third section of the 三月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 211 (at a blank line, see end phrase below)
End page (tanko): 443
End phrase: X印に触れる。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 22
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 24

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-05-08T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

since the cut was not at the usual “fleur de lis” mark, I kinda overread a bit wondering where we were supposed to stop ha ha. I read about 40 pages ahead cause the next break was so far away. I just feel like this turned into an horror book.

This week spoiler

It’s nice to see everyone’s reality but putting them back to back like that makes it a drag to read in my opinion. I lost all the tension from the Wolf roaming around.
I never read the 七匹の子ヤギ but it sounds a lot like some other classic we have as Kokoro said. Everything is going a pretty fast pace so I will do my best to wait until the last week to finish the book. So far the book was really good and now I can’t wait to see the end. Hoping for a happy ending.

3 Likes

So, that was the big week for me, as I understood

Summary

that it was “le loup et les sept chevreaux” (狼と七匹の子山羊) just before the reveal. So, I still get the rush of adrenaline without having to wait forever until the actual reveal; perfect timing.
I did write excitedly about it at the time, but the tension kinda died now (especially since I already commented about it in the 多読 thread).
But anyway, I suddenly realized that the X mark where the 子山羊 did hide but were found. Here’s the scene in one of the versions of the story that I own:

Also, just for fun, here’s the scene I was talking about with @seanblue last week:

童話よろしくお母さんを呼んできて腹かっさばいて、かわりに石を詰めるとかやめろよ

Yes, that’s so wild to me, but it seems that it’s not as major as I thought it was? I owned 3 versions of it as a kid (in various story collections), my spouse owned 2. We gave one each to our kids so that they would have both the French and Japanese version. All in all, it’s fairly major in my immediate family, I guess :sweat_smile:

Anyway, that 童話よろしく (“like in a children story”) immediately made me think of that story and I thought at the time that multiple Grimm brothers’ stories would be featured… but then the story went in a completely different direction and I forgot.

When オオカミ様 said “you look like wolves to me”, I got that it was a hint, but I had forgotten about that already, so I didn’t make the connection with the place where the wolf never looked (and they never looked either). I was too focused on the time shenanigans. Amazing distraction from the author, to be honest (or maybe I’m just dumb and it was easy to guess the story as well)

5 Likes

The French version, nice!

I never heard about it ha ha. Seems like even if we have different classics they do look alike. 3 version of one book is a lot though.

Wolves, but aren’t they goat in the story? Why would they be wolves?

3 Likes

It’s a very short story, it’s usually part of a story collection. I do have it has a very short standalone child book, and in two collections, specifically.

They are the goats, but they look like the wolf to her because, like the wolf, they never looked inside the clock.

3 Likes

ooooooooo I see. Well kinda of a stretch but I get it now thx.

3 Likes

Yeah, at this point it starts to become pretty hard to stop every time :sweat_smile:

I think it’s very commonly known here in the Netherlands as well (but that might also have something to do with the fact that it is one of the fairy tales featured in a pretty famous theme park here).

I also thought that was really well-played (I hadn’t guessed it either) :smile:

3 Likes