かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 25

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 25

Start date: May 14th, 2022

This week we are reading another section of the 三月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 270 (at a blank line, see end phrase below)
End page (tanko): 486
End phrase: そのことがとても嬉しかった。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 24
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 26

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-05-22T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

I just finished the book and I’m sad I have to wait to talk about it. Will be waiting for the entire book discussion thread. Since I read ahead once by accident, I was so far ahead that I decided to finish it alone instead of waiting 2 weeks to continue.

Gonna be waiting for the last week discussion. Almost jealous of people who will discover the ending like I just did. I wanna read it again ha ha

7 Likes

It’s just @wiersm who’s reading along :joy:
Oh! I actually took some notes about this week. I guess we are seeing 理音’s past this time :eyes:

Unedited notes

p467 Oooooh she loves the story of the 7 little goats and she has the “castle”, I guess she is オオカミ様. That must have sucked to eat her own little brother…

4 Likes

Glad I read ahead cause these unedited notes sounds like a spoiler to me ha ha

1 Like

Well, they are not, though, since I didn’t have more info than someone reading p. 467, which is about 2~3 pages in this week’s reading. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I guess I’m late to the party :sweat_smile:

In that case it doesn’t make much sense to go on for three more weeks after this week. I’m not sure if I can finish the book this week, but I have a week off next week, so I can definitely be done then.

I propose that I turn this thread into a thread for the remainder of the 三月 chapter (so if you have any more comments on that chapter, feel free to post them) and that the next thread that I create will be for the rest of the book (the 閉城 chapter and the epilogue) so that we can do the ending discussion next week. Does everyone agree with that? (Leave a comment if you don’t.)

2 Likes

Well, @jhol and @Kyasurin are behind, instead, so that might not be great for them. :sweat_smile:

Completely unrelated, but my local library has a list of 100 books to read in elementary school (20 per year for year 1-2 and 15 per year for the other years). オオカミと7匹の子ヤギ made it to the 1st year list. I guess that story is popular in Japan.

8 Likes

I’ll create a poll in the main thread to gather opinions.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m familiar with it, but not so much that I remembered what happens before Kokoro summarized it in our book.

1 Like

I’m only a little behind, but sometimes don’t remember to click on the poll until late in the week. Work is really busy at the moment. :frowning:

5 Likes

I thought フウカ’s story was really sad but リオン’s was just heartbreaking and I’m not even sure how much we are supposed to infer from アキ’s but it sounds…bad. God I just want to give all these kids a blanket and a warm chocolate-milk (as we say around here).

Saying they sound like a spoiler sounds like a spoiler to me (?)

8 Likes

Yes, I totally agree! These last three stories really hit hard and it’s totally understandable that アキ didn’t want to return home :persevere:

6 Likes

Well that was quick. Finished くすりや on Tuesday and now I’m just about caught up! Just need to read Aki’s story, then I get to either suffer the waiting or read ahead like @icefang97 and suffer not being able to discuss. Maybe I should have voted for the accelerated schedule after all.

Fuuka’s story was painful to read because it felt all too realistic. Then I got punched in the gut by the scene with Mio reading to Leon. It would have been a funny sight for someone to watch tears streaming down my face as I frantically added words to my Anki deck.

9 Likes

Finally got around to reading this book (been on my list for a good while) and was happy to see I’ve finished around the same time as the club was supposed to! Will definitely be keeping an eye out for the final discussion thread as I have some… opinions… :joy: Loved the book overall! Just some things I noticed as someone who lives and works in Japan.

8 Likes