かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 20

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 20

Start date: April 9th, 2022

This week we are reading the second half of the 二月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 123
End page (tanko): 379
End phrase: お別れの月が、始まる。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 19
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 21

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-04-17T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

Not much news this week, I feel. So there are more x marks and at least オオカミさま flatly denied マサムネ’s theory. And アキ might want a wish fulfilled after all? It’s time to get that last month under way :smiley:

By the way, how do you pronounce X印? エックスじるし? (with rendaku?)

One language question this week:

p. 103: ばっかしやがって

マサムネ complains to オオカミさま:
いっつもそうやってはぐらかすような話し方ばっかしやがって。
I take it that the verb at the end is やがる, but what is the ばっかし in front of it? An extra emphasized ばかり or an emphasized 化かす or something else?

1 Like

It’s the emphasized ばかり followed by しやがる. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! That makes sense :slightly_smiling_face:

I only took quick notes about this part, so I can’t just copy/paste them, I need to reformat and, you know, write actual sentences. But I’m laaaaazy.
I guess I’ll just say the thing I mentioned last week that I thought about around this part but isn’t really related to the content.
(Still based on stuff I thought about at the time, regardless of what I learned later)

Summary

I’m now thinking that the reason they don’t meet outside, despite being able to do so, is that a wish was realized, so those that are in the past forgot, and thus can’t come forward. Then, for 理音, I guess he is either in the future of こころ or in the past and came back from abroad (and/or オオカミ様’s “you can meet” still counts even if it would take serious planning for her to meet him).
Speaking of 理音, I guess he guessed something already. Not sure what.

Oh well, I pretty much typed out everything, might just as well finish. When オオカミ様 said that they look like they are the wolves to her, that feels like such an obvious hint to something, but I can’t be bothered thinking about it, I just want to keep reading (well, at the time of writing, that is).

4 Likes

Ha, yeah I felt the same about that. It seems like a hint that we might figure out somehow, but it’s just too hard and we’ll probably learn about it later :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve read it as バツじるし

4 Likes

Ah yes, of course :smile:

I just got around to rereading this section since I missed read aloud last week, and I actually (mostly) reread it via the audiobook just to give that a try.

Comments

When I got to the たとえば、夢見る時がある part I had a note that said “I had a feeling this would show up again”. Also, when it gets to the end part:

そんな奇跡が起きないことは、知っている。今回も、起きなかった。

It makes me really sad. :cry: It was particularly sad hearing it via the audiobook. :sweat_smile:

Also, I love this part by オオカミさま:

会えないとも、助け合えないとも私は言っていない。いい加減、自分で気づけ。考えろ。私になんでも教えてもらえると思うな。

Someone had to say it!

2 Likes