かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 13

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 13

Start date: February 12th, 2022

This week we are reading the 十月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 329
End percentage (bunko): 79
End page (tanko): 236
End phrase: 彼女がはっきり口にした。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 12
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 14

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:30PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-02-20T13:30:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like
This week's spoiler

Two major info from this week. The memory loss thing that increases the cost for having your wish increased and Aki been at the same school at Kokoro. The plot thickens. I’m sure おかみさま waited they become friends to say it in order to make it harder for them to have their wish. Will they choose their friends or their wishes? Will Kokoro and Aki make a duo and go to school together or something. I bet Sanada, the one who bullied Kokoro, also bullied Aki.
Now I wanna read more but I will hold back on my excitement and wait for next week.

3 Likes

It’s 真田・さなだ. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

oups… heeeeeue correcting it

1 Like

Well, that was quite a reveal. If it wasn’t for Rion living in Hawaii you’d almost expect the big reveal is going to be that they all go the same school (or at least live close to each other)… :smiley:

I guess it’s possible, but if I remember correctly, Aki is Kokoro’s (and Sanada’s) senior…

3 Likes

Maybe アキ was the bully, and has been put in her place or something, or feels like she’d like to be nice but can’t help but be awful. She does occasionally reveal a mean streak…

Grammar questions!!

Page 322 (bunko)
オレたちが、それでもお願いを叶えるかどうか。何か正解を用意してそうしてるわけじやなくて、そこでオレたちがどんな選択をしても、ただ「ふうん」って感じ

I’m having trouble with this whole bit, but especially the bold parts.

My attempt at a literalish translation becomes: With that, can we get our wishes granted or not… If it comes to that, maybe [おおかみさま] doesn’t have any kind of “right answer” in mind, and whatever we choose, she’ll be like “hmmm.”
But that doesn’t even make sense. Help?

Page 326
…引くに引けなくなった…
It’s this a grammar point? I couldn’t find it:

(Dictionary verb)に(potential verb)なくなる

1 Like
Page 322

Make sure you understand the context leading up to this. Specifically 下手すると、もともと願いを叶える鍵なんてなかったりして, which is what リオン is responding to. リオン thinks the key does exist and that オオカミ様 is basically testing them, specifically whether or not they will still get a wish granted. From there,
何か正解を用意してそうしてるわけじやなくて = not doing that (testing them) with a correct answer
そこでオレたちがどんな選択をしても、ただ「ふうん」って感じ = regardless of what answer we pick, she’ll just say ふうん (well the 感じ of that haha), meaning リオン doesn’t really think she cares one way or the other and is just curious to see what they’ll do.

Page 326

It’s N1 grammar according to Bunpro. Sometimes you can find stuff like this in Bunpro’s search by filtering by as little as possible (I did に) and then scrolling through until you find it: る〜に〜ない - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

Here’s the resource Bunpro links to in case you don’t have a Bunrpo account: https://www.imabi.net/theconjunctiveni.htm

It basically means you can’t do verb even if you wanted to. I think in this case, 引く might refer to Aki taking back what she said, though I’m not 100% sure. 引く has way too many definitions. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Do you mean Aki? Because that’s what I’m currently thinking.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I meant. Changing that now …

2 Likes

The Japanese dictionaries that I have, list 引くに引けない as idiom. The 大辞林 has this, for example: 引き下がりたいと思っても、今さら引き下がるわけにいかない。I think this is along the lines of what you say (something like she’s unable to stand down).

Edit:

Regarding the other sentence:

You mean that Rion is saying that he thinks that there is no correct outcome of the test as far as オオカミさま is concerned, right? So she is truly indifferent about what they do.

Yep, that’s what I think he’s saying.

1 Like