かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 21

Intermediate Book Club: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: TUGUMI・Next: おばちゃんたちのいるところ
かがみの孤城 Home Thread: かがみの孤城 (Kagami no Kojou) Book Club

Week 21

Start date: April 16th, 2022

This week we are reading the first section of the 三月 chapter.
End page (bunko): 150 (:fleur_de_lis:)
End page (tanko): 398
End phrase: 幸せになって、と祈る。

Previous week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 20
Next week: かがみの孤城 🪞 Week 22

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2022-04-24T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along (up to this week’s end page)
  • I’m already reading ahead (beyond this week’s end page)
  • I’ve read this book already and I’m here for discussion
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t yet reached this week’s starting page
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

This week spoiler

It’s so nice that the teacher and the mom are ready to help Kokoro even if she doesn’t want to go to school anymore. Her mom became so supportive.
I have a weird theory where the x points where the key is in their world. That or the x points to stuff they like.
Fauna the piano, Subaru the bed, Aki the wardrobe, kokoro the… fireplace? well it’s a beginning. That or the position where the key is in the real world. I still can’t believe they did not try to cellphone each other like it prob won’t work but still. Or just take a comemorative picture,
Other guess is that the key is around the wolf’s neck after 5 or in the book about red riding hood.
The story is closing to the end but still lotos of pages left.I want the happy ending where they go to school together,

3 Likes

She was always supportive, I think. It’s just that she didn’t know how to help. She just found the right way to help (which is definitely not an easy feat!)

I’m pretty sure there’s no X on the piano. Subaru found an X under the 洗面器 (I don’t know what to call that in English; the sink?). I think it was 理音 who found one under the bed. マサムネ also found one in the kitchen, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes
Summary

At first she was annoyed by how Kokoro didn’t wanted to go to school. She was sure Kokoro was faking her stomach ach. Now she was scared when Kokoro went back to school.

Wasn’t there one under the piano?
Well my theory is prob wrong. But wanted to point it out in case something would come out of it.

2 Likes
Summary

That’s independent from being supportive or not :sweat_smile: She didn’t get what was wrong, which is why she got frustrated, but part of the problem lies in こころ’s inability to explain… pretty much anything. Throughout the year, the mother has tried a lot of things. For me, the fact she kept in close contact with 喜多嶋先生 is the biggest proof that she has been trying as hard as she can.

No. I think you are missing one under the table of dining room, though.
At that point in the story, I had no theory about it, I just wanted to move forward as fast as possible :sweat_smile:

3 Likes
Summary

I’m pretty sure at first she just though Kokoro was faking it and was doing it in bad faith. She thought Kokoro was teh problem but after talking with the teacher and Kokoro the mom realised that Kokoro wasn’t the problem. The teacher is the one who said that in the first place.