おんな....じょ why do you hate me so

OK, I know there’s a simple explanation…But this is driving nuts. When is it おんな and when is it じょ? Same Kanji, same meaning, no other kanji or hiragana to skew pronunciation. One has a purple background and the other pink. Please help me feel stupid, thanks.

1 Like

When the background’s purple, it’s おんな - you’re reading it as a vocabulary word, exactly as you would if you encountered it on its own in the wild.

When the background’s pink, it’s じょ - you’re learning the kanji reading which you’ll use as a component in other words like 女子 or 女王.

13 Likes

Thank you! I’ll work on remembering that.

men have been trying to understand women for millennia, so far with limited success. just keep going, you’ll find patterns.

9 Likes

vocabulary words are a bit harder.
I still don’t know the difference between 少女, 女子、女の子

there’s none, all three mean the same “thing”. you can use them interchangeably.
technically, 女の子 is a female child, 少女 a young female, 女子 a person of female nature, but that’s so slight nuances, not even the japanese bother with that.

女の子 contains hiragana, usually when you see that, it’s a hint to use kun-yomi, so おんな .

2 Likes

This might help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now that I have hit level three I have found that I am kind of encountering this same thing. I learned the on’yomi reading and then changed it up for the kun’yomi reading. Now those Kanji are coming back with the on’yomi and it is tripping me up. Just have to kind of learn both I suppose. :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.