いる、ある object order

今晩は!

I have come over something I don’t quite understand, when using いる、ある:
It is related to the sentence structure. I will first say what I understood so far: Both words are used to say sonething exists/is in a place, or something is had. いる is for animate things, while あるis for inanimate things.
Normally you would use が as a marker for what the verb refers to and to emphasize this thing you might use は. For the location you use に.
That results in a sentence like: 犬が犬小屋にいます。(only know polite forms so far)
But sometimes the order is changed, so the sentence would be:犬小屋に犬がいます。

What exactly is the reason to change the order? I hope you can help me.

ありがとうございます。

There is no reason. These sentences have same meaning.
You can read about that here http://www.imabi.net/10majoraspects.htm

1 Like

There a couple reasons depending on who you ask, for example, the more important information being presented in a sentence tends to come first. I don’t feel like I understand it to a level that I can effectively try to explain it, however, here is a link that just briefly touches on it.

1 Like

Seems to me that often sentence order, especially in spoken Japanese, depends largely on what comes to the speaker’s mind first. Which is usually what seems most important/immediate to the speaker.

Edit: …which is basically what it says in the link mentioned by the two previous posters, sorry:

Japanese allows its word order to be flexible to prioritize things out of semantic necessity. For instance, if the verb comes to mind first, you can say it first and have the rest of your statement be an afterthought. Now, don’t get carried away with this as people don’t purposely always speak with inverted sentences.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers! That link is quite helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.