Zahi's Study Log

Study Log #2: Week of 8/2/20

Things have been going well this week! I’ve had a lot of energy and have studied in some way almost every day.

WK
Kept up the pace of my reviews and leveled up from 6 to 7 in just over a week

Grammar
One of my weakest areas has always been verb conjugation, primarily because I haven’t memorized the rules. However, I’ve never been able to find the conjugations organized in a way that fits my brain. The Genki text, which I only use for reference now, has conjugations all over the place in an order that just doesn’t make sense to me. As a result, I’ve decided to start organizing the rules for verb conjugation in a way that makes sense to me and will be an easy reference.

I’m having trouble copy/pasting tables here, but for the sake of accountability, this week I organized short and long form conjugations for 現在形 in the affirmative and negative.

**EDIT
Huge thanks to @ChristopherFritz for recommending CureDolly’s videos on verb conjugation and my mind is officially blown sky high. This is a game changer. How I haven’t seen it taught this way in over a decade of formal and informal Japanese study is insane.

Reading
Finished わんわん探偵団 week 5 and got everything printed for the rest of the case. Putting the vocab for the week into Anki and studying them ahead of time continues to be incredibly helpful.

Listening
Nihongo con Teppei - I half did this, listened but didn’t write a summary. I’m OK with it, and given time constraints will probably just listen from now on.

Midnight Diner - This was pretty challenging. I watched the episode with English subs first and then without later in the week, and that did help me to recognize and pick up some things I likely otherwise would not have. This is something I definitely need to do more of, though I’m not sure how often I’ll use this series. I may use some shorter anime series’ that I’ve already watched with subs and can easily repeat over and over. Probably Rilakkuma & Kaoru, and Drifting Dragons to start.

Goals for the coming week of 8/9/20
I’m going to be out of town for the second half of the week so I want to make sure I’m being realistic about the goals I set. I know it’s likely I won’t study while I’m away beyond doing some WK reviews at my leisure.

Read わんわん探偵団 week 6
Read レンタルおにいちゃん week 1
Share an Ikebana arrangement and write up a brief caption in Japanese
Watch CureDolly videos on verb conjugation

4 Likes