Youth books/ juvenile books in Japanese 📚

I’ve got the ソラリ or SORARI app since a while now, but I confess that I’ve had trouble getting started and choosing texts to read since it’s hard to navigate difficulty levels.

Anyone on here that use ソラリ and/or have any recommendation on books they’ve read and enjoyed?

Any good juvenile books for example? (seems like a good starting point)? :slight_smile:

If there are other free/cheap apps for reading Japanese books please feel free to recommend them as well!

宜しくお願いします! :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Didn’t know someone had developed an Aozora Bunko app. Thanks! It might still be a bit of a struggle, but I’ve been reading through 江戸川乱歩の少年探偵団. Give it a look.

3 Likes

I’ve actually looked at books by Edogawa Ranpo before but felt overwhelmed at the time. I really should give it a proper go though! Who knows, I might be able to read it now? ^^

(the app also has Einstein in Japanese, for those that are so inclined, lol :nerd: )

2 Likes

The great thing is this particular book is children’s literature, so it’s not too difficult to understand compared to, say, 人間椅子. I just downloaded like ten books. I was semi-surprised to see the book I mentioned in the rankings as well.

1 Like

That settles it. I really should read it. I’ll have a proper go tonight! Thanks for the tips. ^>^

1 Like

Glad to help!!

1 Like

As for books on aozora: some created a list ranked by wanikani level and kanji coverage (80% / 85% / 90% / 95%)

There is two stories from the shônen tantei dan series at the top. I can’t tell about grammar but at least you can choose something that suits your kanji level :slight_smile: (and sorry, in case you already know about the list.)

Apart from that, I’m reading a story by Mimei Ogawa right now. He was an author of short stories, children’s stories, and fairy tales.

5 Likes

Thanks for linking that list. ^^ I didn’t realize that it was Aozora books in the app. lol. Thanks for the tip about Mimei Ogawa…Short stories is also a good starting point I feel. Makes it more easily manageable (less feeling of that wall of text to get through :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

Yes, I totally agree :smile: some people here in the community already read his story ookina kani so you might find some help in case you choose this one. It’s the one I’m reading right now… and flow.moe (or something similar) has a vocab deck for it.

Slightly off topic: librivox also has a few of his stories as audio book (pubic domain). So in case you want to read a story and then listen to it maybe double check over there.

2 Likes

What an excellent app. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1 Like

Great minds think alike. I noticed the librivox link in the wikipedia article to Mimei Ogawa. I’m very happy to know of the existence of that site. They had around 120-ish works in Japanese as audio books! ^>^ (so lots to to explore!)

1 Like