Your experience with new levels / study?

On my first day or two on a new level, I get so many things wrong. I’m wondering if this is normal for other people too?

Also, I’m wondering When to work on reviewing lessons? Am I doing myself a disservice if I study between reviews?

6 Likes

I used the self study script directly after the lessons to remember the new kanji better.

I wouldn’t recommend repeating a lesson directly before reviews, I would look at the items you got wrong after reviews. It’s normal to make mistakes, the SRS makes sure that you see the items you have trouble with more often.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I too get many things wrong on the first day or two … or thirty.

8 Likes

It used to be like this until I changed my method of doing the lessons.
Using the I Need More Time button instead of jumping to quiz right away and doing the quiz only after I’m able to say the correct writing before seeing it for each kanji/vocab.

2 Likes

My correct percentage goes way down when I add lots of new material … then it goes back up over the next few days. One of the secrets of avoiding this dip is do your first reviews of the new material in four hours when they come up again. If not that, then definitely before a full 24 hours.

If you have extra time to devote, the self study quiz is great, and no it does not mess with the SRS unless use it just before reviews.

7 Likes

i think it’s worthwhile to take a few days between when you level up and when you begin doing your lessons on the new kanji to just work on squashing leeches. that way, when you do start on the new set of material, you’re not simultaneously feeling overwhelmed by the leeches coming back at you. that’s what i’ve started doing for the last couple of levels, and i feel i’m remembering the new things better because of it.

1 Like

I JUST started the payed levels at Level 4 a minute ago and was blasted away with radicals and mnemonics that make no sense for me! This is gonna be tough! Level 4! We are on the same level, so I hear you!

6 Likes

It’s definitely something I think that most people experience, especially when we do a whole load of lessons at once. The important thing to remember is that this isn’t a race nor is it a test - it’s a learning tool, first and foremost. If items keep getting missed, it simply means that the initial lesson didn’t stick and you need to go back and either spend more time studying the item carefully or else changing the mnemonic so that it’s more relevant to you and thus easier to remember. And just because a level can be completed in less than seven days doesn’t mean it should be. I will often make sure that I don’t do lessons if my apprentice items are over 100 or so. Others will pace themselves by doing 10 or so lessons a day or something.

It’s okay to study between reviews as long as you don’t cram right before you know a session is coming up. I think the best thing you can do is to diversify your studies. When you do grammar studies or go through vocab lists outside of WK, material will often cross over. That kind of overlap is perfect for reinforcing the kanji and the associated vocab in your mind. It won’t target the specific kanji you learned in a particular level, but the more you do it, the more cross-over you’ll see, and thus the better the reinforcement you’ll get over time.

Good luck and happy studying! ^^

11 Likes

I am also working on RocketLanguages, Japanese, and the crossover is fantastic. I’ll learn vocabulary there and when I get the kanji here, it’s so much easier. So I think outside sources really do help.

2 Likes

interesting!! i dont know what you mean yet but will figure it out

What a thoughtful answer!

And LOL not to worry, all i ever do is study Japanese

1 Like

Yeah, me, too! I do work still, but it’s part time so I have loads of time to study.

1 Like

“Free time? What is free ti- oh, you mean the time I use to study the most difficult possible foreign language. Got it.”

7 Likes

This image might help.

Clicking the ← Need more time it lets you keep toggling the lessons and read them as much as you like.
When you feel ready just click the green Quiz on the bottom.

You can also choose the amount of new items in every batch if you go to setting.

2 Likes

I’ve found that the Kanji stick best for me when I really take enough time to memorize them in the lessons - dive into the mnemonic and try to visualize it, or (on rare occasions) come up with my own if that clicks better with me. Sometimes that may take a minute or so per Kanji (for everything, radicals, reading and meaning). I usually just go through them once, though. Plus, what others have said: I try to do the 4h-reviews after 4 or 5 hours, if possible. This gives me the best refreshment. When I notice that I cannot remember a Kanj, I dive into the mnemonic again to really try to memorize it.

2 Likes

I really like idea

1 Like

Japanese is hard, but I thinkEnglish is harder. I have a lot of empathy for all the Japanese learners of English out there

1 Like

Because of that, I am frequently thankful that I’m a native speaker and don’t ever have to learn English. Bless your heart, Japanese, for having only five vowels and consistent pronunciation, even if there are a bunch of annoying homonyms that I have to pick through because of it. :smile:

4 Likes

How have I never noticed that button before?

1 Like

Are you saying you’ve reached lvl. 31 without lesson revision?! That’s tough.
Better late than never, though.

To be fair, design wise your eyes will automatically spot the white right button first, and the dimness of the Surrounding makes the left black button blend in even more… perhaps they should change the contrast.

1 Like