Yomi-chan possible with kindle?

I was wondering if it was possible to make yomi chan work with kindle books? If not specifically kindle, is there anyway I can read a novel with yomi chan?

Reading novels is still very much a pain for me, and if I could have yomi chan to help me through them, I think I’d get a lot more done.

1 Like

It’s not literally yomichan, but the kindle has a built in dictionary and you can load custom ones to get jisho, or a J-J, or whatever you want. I’ve found it works reasonably well, though there is usually a bit of a delay on pulling up definitions – the version of the kindle you have will somewhat determine how long that is.

I actually recently asked this exact question and was pointed to ttsu reader, which seems really great for reading in a browser and is totally compatible with Yomichan! The one unfortunate point is you need to have a drm free epub on hand – which in most cases is going to require you putting in a little work to convert and probably de-drm your ebooks.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve found that the dictionaries don’t recognize a lot of things as well as yomi chan does so I think I’ll go this de-drm route. Even if it takes a bit of time, it’s only once per book, I guess. Saves a lot more time that I’d spend on lookups.

Thanks, I’ll try this out soon.

1 Like

Are you reading on one of Amazon’s e-readers, like the Kindle Paperwhite? Or are you talking about the mobile app?

1 Like

Yeah, I have a paperwhite. I didn’t try mobile, but I did try the app for desktop as well.

1 Like

I’m surprised you’re having issues then. On the mobile app it can’t de-conjugate at all, so I thought that might have been your issue. On the Paperwhite I find it’s 95% as effective as Yomichan. So yes, Yomichan is better, but I’ve never had enough of an issue with the Paperwhite to warrant abandoning it.

(Granted, removing DRM is easy too if you prefer the desktop route.)

2 Likes

Maybe I’m choosing the wrong dictionaries, if you say it’s almost as good as yomi chan.

But, if DRM is easy to remove, then that’s good.

1 Like

I just use the JMDict dictionary (basically jisho) and it works mostly fine. Sometimes it gets confused when words are in renyoukei if that has its dictionary entry (think 祈り instead of 祈る), but most of the time that is close enough to figure out the meaning. Every once in a while it just refuses to highlight the word I want it to highlight, which I think is probably a Kindle problem (not a dictionary problem).

Yeah, there are a couple tools for it. Not sure I can link to them here, but if you google around you’ll find them. I remove the DRM from all my books even though I still read on the kindle. I like to convert them to HTML so I can reference them more easily for studying, book clubs, etc.

2 Likes

I can also recommend this, I’m using exclusively that with my kindle, and in 95% of the cases, it works fine. This is the link for it btw. Just make sure to not do something stupid like me, and if you need the name dictionary, keep it separate from the main one. If you install the combined one, the kindle might get caught up on some names and not translate you the entire word. (For example, instead of 花畑, it might see 花 as a name with tons of readings and only show you that).

5 Likes

I’ll definitely check it out for when I read on the go. Thanks for the recommendation.

In the meantime, I managed to remove the DRM, and got it to work with yomi chan through ttsu reader as mentioned above. Might think about the advanced book club, though I’d have to check what type of schedule they got going.

2 Likes