WK Level Parsing script [in progress]

http://www.nippongi.net/wk/levels.html

Hello everyone,

I wanted to show something simple we’ve been working on, I figured it would be useful as I haven’t seen something like this before. Paste in text and click evaluate and it will show you some level statistics. 

The biggest thing I want to get done is to make it show you which kanji is which level, because I think that would be the most useful. 

I think I will have it so you hover over the “all levels found” numbers and the kanji will highlight, telling you which level is which. 

If anyone has any advice please let me know - keep in mind this was very quickly done by a beginner so the background and colors are a placeholder and it will certainly change in the future.  Hope you find it interesting and please let me know what should be added or changed. 

Super cool! I will definitely be using this frequently. Great job!

I think I will have it so you hover over the “all levels found” numbers and the kanji will highlight, telling you which level is which. 

I think this will be the most useful thing, at the moment if you’re using authentic texts (not created for learners) you’re bound to find the highest level between 50-60, the lowest 1 or 2 and the average 10-20 I guess. I’m not sure how useful that is to know. 

Cool tool!

It would probably be useful if it would tell you cumulative level information. Like, “15 kanji (50%) level 10 or lower, 30 kanji (100%) level 20 or lower”.

woow!

I loved the idea!
I guess it would be good to show the median level instead of the average level because it would give the idea of the 50% kanji that you can read in the text. Could also show quartiles (I don’t know if this is the correct English to this word)  to represent the 25% and 75% kanji that you can read in the text.
For example, if you are lvl 7 in wanikani and the text you want to read has two lvl 2 kanji, three lvl 10 and one lvl 35, the average lvl kanji is 6.8 and the median is 8. This person is lvl 7, above the average lvl of the text, still this person can only read two kanji of the text which is 33,3%.
But if I knew that I couldn’t read at least 50% (the median tells us that), I certainly would look for other text.

Dwarsen said... Cool tool!

It would probably be useful if it would tell you cumulative level information. Like, "15 kanji (50%) level 10 or lower, 30 kanji (100%) level 20 or lower".

maniguigs said... woow!

I loved the idea!
I guess it would be good to show the median level instead of the average level because it would give the idea of the 50% kanji that you can read in the text. Could also show quartiles (I don't know if this is the correct English to this word)  to represent the 25% and 75% kanji that you can read in the text.
For example, if you are lvl 7 in wanikani and the text you want to read has two lvl 2 kanji, three lvl 10 and one lvl 35, the average lvl kanji is 6.8 and the median is 8. This person is lvl 7, above the average lvl of the text, still this person can only read two kanji of the text which is 33,3%.
But if I knew that I couldn't read at least 50% (the median tells us that), I certainly would look for other text.
 Great ideas! Thanks, I'll relay that!

Thank you i love this tool. Keep improving it.

Looks awesome!

There’s also a Chrome extension that does a similar thing based on an Excel tool I made back in the paleolithic era: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-reading-ability/geilaheefnofbnocgibjjdeopmmipanc

BreadstickNinja said... Looks awesome!

There's also a Chrome extension that does a similar thing based on an Excel tool I made back in the paleolithic era: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-reading-ability/geilaheefnofbnocgibjjdeopmmipanc
 Very cool ! I had no idea something like that existed. I'll be using that as well.

The purpose for mine was that it's very easy to forget which kanji lower level WK people know so I wanted to collect sentences/paragraphs that could be read by lower level people with kanji that they should know. So they don't have to worry about vocab and they can just learn grammar. But it's still incomplete :3