Why is it being marked wrong?

I am a new WaniKani user and I have gotten to the part with Kanji readings. I type out the kanji readings and it marks it as incorrect even though I am using the correct kana (same characters as when I look below and it gives the correct answer). I then have to copy paste that correct answer into the answer field in order to get it right. Am I doing something wrong that it is marking it incorrect? This only happens with some…

Why is my reading answer for ε…₯ (にゅう), 上 (γ˜γ‚‡γ†), 九 (きゅう), εŠ› (γ‚Šγ‚‡γ), 十 (γ˜γ‚…γ†), or ε₯³ (γ˜γ‚‡) being marked incorrect? I’m putting in the right answer!

Most likely, you are putting in a big γ‚„, ゆ, or γ‚ˆ instead of a small one. See the difference?

γ˜γ‚ˆγ† = jiyou
γ˜γ‚‡γ† = jyou

きゆう = kiyuu
きゅう = kyuu

γ‚Šγ‚ˆγ = riyoku
γ‚Šγ‚‡γ = ryoku

γ˜γ‚†γ† = jiyuu
γ˜γ‚…γ† = jyuu

γ˜γ‚ˆ = jiyo
γ˜γ‚‡ = jyo

The difference is big, and it’s important to get these correct. For example, γ˜γ‚†γ† means β€œfreedom,” so if you wrote that instead of γ˜γ‚…γ†, you would be saying something completely different.

Read the FAQ for more helpful tips.

WK doesn’t teach the basics of Japanese. It’s advisable to go review Japanese pronunciation and kana before starting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.