Why dose this sentance mean I forgot my homework?

宿題をなくしちゃった While reading Genki 2 I came across this sentence.
It seems like it should mean I regretfully forgot to do the homework? but in Genki 2 it’s translated to I forgot the homework? Is it like a response to a question like "Did you bring the home work? and then you say ”宿題をなくしちゃった”

Your translation is correct, however, translations are made to sound more “natural” in the target language. So, “I forgot my homework” is a more natural way of saying “I regretfully forgot to do the homework”.

2 Likes

~てしまう adds a feeling of regret to the tone of the sentence, rather than the meaning of “regret” to the translation.

4 Likes

But there is no 忘れたIn there? So does it only mean forgot depending on what someone has just said to you?

Well, if I’m not mistaken なくしちゃった implies a regretful lack of something (in this case, 宿題), so it can be translated as “forgot”, “don’t have”, etc.

The exact wording is really up to personal preference, as you really could say that the sentence means “I, unfortunately, don’t have the homework” or something like that.

As I said, it’s not an exact translation, so there are various ways that it could be interpreted.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. :slight_smile: didn’t know that 仕舞う also meant lack. I looked it up on Jisho and Tanoshi but that synonym doesn’t seem to be there?

しまう is finishing completely or regret. It’s the なく part that is “lacking”.

1 Like

Nono, the main verb is なくす.

4 Likes

Haha I feel kinda silly now :joy: I seem to of over looked that… thanks

Haha, it’s fine. I do things like that all the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.