When your Japanese is jouzu but your English is heta

19 Likes

I added that as a user synonym!

4 Likes

I’ve done that now, but I think I spent a solid 2 minutes on this one trying to find a spelling that sounded right, but I got it wrong anyway :pensive:

5 Likes

You forgot word “sea”.
If WK uses Levenshtein Distance, meditterranean and mediterranean are 1 edit away, so it should be close enough to recognize it.

8 Likes

Oh I just learned this vocab! I thought it was super weird that they say “Middle of the Earth Sea.” Then I looked at the word Mediterranean again and was like “oh whoa.”

5 Likes

WK uses Optimal String Alignment, which is mostly Levenshtein that also allows swaps.

For “mediterranean sea”, WK allows an edit distance of 4, meaning that “mediterranean” will just squeeze by, which is nice because Mediterranean Sea is often abbreviated to just Mediterranean. (Although technically Mediterranean refers to the whole area surrounding the sea, not just the sea itself.)

If you put a typo in ‘mediterranean’, such as an extra ‘t’, then the edit distance becomes 5, and that is too much for WK, and the answer will be rejected.

13 Likes

I just added “med sea” as a synonym :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.