近づく - Possible answer

The listed answers it accepts are

• To Get Close
  • To Approach
  • To Draw Near
  • To Near
  • To Bring Near

But it doesn’t accept “To draw close.” I feel like since it accepts “To get close” and “To draw near” then I don’t see why combination of the two isn’t accepted. I understand the meaning of the vocabulary, it just happens that my brain defaults to that answer over the others it actually lists.

Also if there’s a better place to suggest “correct answers” that isn’t here I apologize.

Just checking since it’s not clear from what you wrote, but did you add it as a synonym?

It’s possible that WK could add it in a future update, but there will always be ways of phrasing things that they haven’t thought of yet (or they just don’t want to overwhelm people with too many very similar expressions that don’t actually denote much nuance).

In those cases, user synonyms are usually the best option.

5 Likes

Wait, are you saying that if I add a “user synonym” on the vocabulary’s page, whatever I put there it will start accepting it as a correct answer from then on?

1 Like

Yes, that’s the functionality of adding user synonyms. With some exceptions… the staff can purposely blacklist some things for various reasons. But this should work fine.

Huh, totally thought they were just like, little notes you could add in case you have two words that are taught as similar definitions (Like 理 & 由) That’s awesome, thank you for letting me know!

1 Like

A quick note, your added synonym doesn’t start working in the same review session you added it. It starts working in the next one. So, you can basically close the session and start a new one to get it to immediately work.

User synonyms are a great way to make WK more accessible for non-English speakers. As long as you have a firm grasp of the correct concept a kanji express, there is nothing wrong with adding your own word, imo, be it in your own language or in English.

Though, it’s worth noting that kanji and vocab will become increasingly nuanced as you move up the levels, so the chosen meaning from the WK team is also there to help you differentiate between kanji and vocab, and your added synonym could make it less apparent. Just a minor word of caution.

Good luck with your studies! :durtle:

Oh I wasn’t planning on using this as a crutch. There’s been a few here and there that took some time to learn but this is the first one where I clearly know the meaning and definition, I just combine two of it’s given answers and it only accepts them separate while it still doesn’t change meaning.

Thank you for the warning though!

1 Like

Me, to, one upon a time. Then I hit the 50s and 60s and realized I just had no chance of ever remembering the English definitions of some stuff. And that there was no need either. I used it quite specifically for legal terminology, botanical words (where I already knew a flower’s name, just not the English one), or human anatomy.

It’s fine to learn the English word short term. But once you have that final 2 months pause until your burn review, gthen you realize, you really don’t know those words deeply enough in English. :sweat_smile: They’re shallow, whereas your native tongue might give you an immediate answer. Which you can only use if you already set it as a synonym on those cases.

I don’t think this is wrong. At the end of the day, I’ve mastered the Japanese. Some day, I might go back and try to truly learn the English language terminology or missed nuances. But, I just made that a separate step from my WK learning and use. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.