When you put the kanji reading instead of the vocab reading - Is there a userscript for this?

One of the more common mistakes I make in my reviews is I’ll have a single kanji word come up and instead of putting the vocabulary reading I put the kanji reading by mistake. For example 弓 comes up and instead of putting ゆみ I put きゅう by mistake.

Is there a userscript that does something like when you put the onyomi reading when you’re asked for the kunyomi reading and says “sorry wrong reading” and shakes it off for when you make this sort of mistake?

If not, would people be interested if I wrote one?

I know! I suffer from that a lot!

If you make a script I will for sure use it! :smiley:

There’s an “ignore answer” script that let’s you retry. There are also other scripts, which I’m not familiar with, that offer variants on this, so there’s probably no real need to write another one. Except if you really want to of course…

You might be starting a small flame thread lol. This has been asked/discussed a LOT and I think the majority of users here believe a script like that would be detrimental.

tvtran said... You might be starting a small flame thread lol. This has been asked/discussed a LOT and I think the majority of users here believe a script like that would be detrimental.
Agreed.  If you enter the wrong reading for a vocab, you're probably setting yourself up for failure by using Override.

Rather than using Override in this case, you'd be better off using Reorder Ultimate to sort by item type, so your vocab will be grouped together, and you won't mistake vocab questions for kanji questions.  If you still miss it, that proves you aren't ready for it to advance.

It’s often that I just don’t notice that it’s asking for vocab instead of kanji or vice versa. Recorder Ultimate might be a good compromise.

Item color. If you’re doing your reviews without paying attention to the item color – best thing to do is slow down a little and actually pay attention to it, I believe. Otherwise, I’m afraid, you’re getting into a bad habit which might find its way into your actual reading and speaking later on.

If you don’t know that moon is つき you deserve to get it wrong. The other answers are wrong, unlike with kanji. It doesn’t matter if it’s on or kun reading with vocab, it’s simply what the word ‘is’. Your script should really say, "Wanikani is asking you how to spell this word"
Kanji readings are all valid, kanji are essentially only letters.

Don’t know why I bother since I’m sure you’ll hard-headedly insist that vocab should have wiggle room, either way if you’re prone to making a mistake and thinking the wrong thing and answering that knee jerk, you need to practice that word, because your instinct is bad.

jonnydark of Sect " I need to finish WaniKani as soon as possible it doesn’t really matter if I learn or not it’s all about the competition".

If only there was a difference, if only one was pink instead of purple, if only one said “Vocabulary reading” instead of “Kanji Reading”. 

Wouldn’t it be nice if people actually paid even the slightest attention?

tvtran said... You might be starting a small flame thread lol.
 Nailed it.

Reading people saying colour is the way you tell between kanji and vocab and thinking “these arguments would probably make more sense if I wasn’t colourblind”

Retefox said... jonnydark of Sect " I need to finish WaniKani as soon as possible it doesn't really matter if I learn or not it's all about the competition".
Salty af.

Christ, sorry for even asking. Apparently if you ask a question on this forum, people second guess your intentions and assume you’re an asshole who doesn’t actually want to learn.
All I was suggesting was something to tell you to “read the question, idiot” - but apparently that’s an awful idea and I’m a terrible person for even suggesting it. Sorry, alright?

jonnydark said... Christ, sorry for even asking. Apparently if you ask a question on this forum, people second guess your intentions and assume you're an asshole who doesn't actually want to learn. All I was suggesting was something to tell you to "read the question, idiot" - but apparently that's an awful idea and I'm a terrible person for even suggesting it. Sorry, alright?
 Eh, don't mind the people with attitude.  I've made the same error that you described in the OP, and it's frustrating, and detracts from the learning process (as long as it's genuinely just misreading the question, and not incorrect knowledge).  Some people say it's carelessness... and maybe it is.  But I personally don't feel that punishing yourself for it helps you learn Japanese better, as long as whatever method you use to fix it doesn't hide a real legitimate lack of knowledge.

I learned on a manfacturing job that the best way to avoid repeated errors/defects is to eliminate the factors that allow you to make the mistakes in the first place (seems obvious, right?), and the least effective solution is to tell people to stop making mistakes and "be more careful" or "pay more attention".  Sadly, though, the latter is the most common solution given.

marionette said...
Retefox said... jonnydark of Sect " I need to finish WaniKani as soon as possible it doesn't really matter if I learn or not it's all about the competition".
Salty af.
 "Al que le caiga el guante."

rfindley said...
jonnydark said... Christ, sorry for even asking. Apparently if you ask a question on this forum, people second guess your intentions and assume you're an asshole who doesn't actually want to learn. All I was suggesting was something to tell you to "read the question, idiot" - but apparently that's an awful idea and I'm a terrible person for even suggesting it. Sorry, alright?
 Eh, don't mind the people with attitude.  I've made the same error that you described in the OP, and it's frustrating, and detracts from the learning process (as long as it's genuinely just misreading the question, and not incorrect knowledge).  Some people say it's carelessness... and maybe it is.  But I personally don't feel that punishing yourself for it helps you learn Japanese better, as long as whatever method you use to fix it doesn't hide a real legitimate lack of knowledge.

I learned on a manfacturing job that the best way to avoid repeated errors/defects is to eliminate the factors that allow you to make the mistakes in the first place (seems obvious, right?), and the least effective solution is to tell people to stop making mistakes and "be more careful" or "pay more attention".  Sadly, though, the latter is the most common solution given.

We have a winner!!

What a great jump of logic! You must know the OP to get that from the post

If you want to pretend you got the right answer even if you don’t know what the right answer is, there’s a script that clears your entire review queue and gives everything a right answer. Just use that and stop doing reviews altogether.

jonnydark said…
Christ, sorry for even asking. Apparently if you ask a question on this forum, people second guess your intentions and assume you’re an asshole who doesn’t actually want to learn.
All I was suggesting was something to tell you to “read the question, idiot” - but apparently that’s an awful idea and I’m a terrible person for even suggesting it. Sorry, alright?
Worst thing: You don’t even get it, do you?

BreadstickNinja said…
If you want to pretend you got the right answer even if you don’t know what the right answer is, there’s a script that clears your entire review queue and gives everything a right answer. Just use that and stop doing reviews altogether.
 See? is easy if you try.

Anyhow, I just find it funny how some people feel offended and take it personally when you try to help them see that cheating won’t take them far Cough Cough toomanyonthissitetobenamed Cough Cough. I really hope someone make a script for them to use in the wild, you know, like, in real life, otherwise, how in the hell are they planning to READ SOMETHING when they finally get to Japan? Beats me!

Ladies and gents, a new sect is born, the most prestigious of it all: Sect: Lance Armstrong.