When did you decide to pay for the lifetime plan?

How long after starting did you take the plunge into lifetime access? If you haven’t, are you considering it? Why/why not?

Little background so you know where I’m coming from, been learning Japanese for about 2 years, studied abroad in Tokyo, and now taking classes once a week after work. Wanikani comes in to fill in the gaps that are kanji (We do mostly discussion in class) and in some cases vocab.
I’m finding a lot of value in this app, and after hitting the paywall I decided to jump into the yearly plan to see how well I can keep up. So far so good, I just passed a month of daily practice since starting.

I’m kind of hoping somewhere along the second month it’ll become habitual, and maybe that’s when I’ll have my answer to this question. Thought it would be interesting though to see what everyone’s pulls are

9 Likes

Got the Lifetime plan as soon as the yearly discount was available. So I think it was a couple of weeks in and then straight to Lifetime.

So level 3 would be when I got it.

10 Likes

I considered it quite quickly, but I’m waiting for a discount.

4 Likes

December usually brings in a 100 dollar discount on Lifetime.

6 Likes

I was on monthly for a year and then switched to annual 6 months before the winter sale in preparation for getting lifetime. Bought lifetime this past December.

1 Like

Like @VegasVed says, there’s usually sales now and then. I started on WK in August one year and got the deal (either black friday or January sales, can’t remember now). It’s been a great deal for me as I’ve restarted a few times and been using this for years now on and off :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I got an annual membership too even though I first joined during the annual sale this past December. I was pretty sure I would want to commit to the lifetime, but my eyes were bigger than my wallet, so I’m putting aside $16.70/month this year to be ready to buy the lifetime membership when the next annual sale hits. I also see this first year as a chance to make sure I really am committed enough to learning Japanese to stick with it for a whole year. So far so good!

6 Likes

I pretty much decided I wanted it as soon as I discovered the option was available after passing level 3, I’m just waiting for the sale lol. I have the annual subscription in the meantime.

4 Likes

If my math is correct, it’ll be practical to buy lifetime only if you’ll go over 2 years studying WaniKani. At my pace I think 2 years is enough so currently I’m not considering it. Money is kinda tight and I have so many physical Japanese books that I want to add to my collection.

6 Likes

Right away, but i got anually first and lifetime during the Christmas sale since that was the cheapest option for me :grinning:

1 Like

So I bought lifetime during the December sale last year. I wasn’t actively learning at that time, but I knew I would be picking it back up eventually and I go slow enough that I wanted the lifetime instead of the pressure of subscription paying. I used to be a higher level (8 I think?) but I reset recently.

3 Likes

I´ve wanted to learn japanese ever since I was around 16 but have never had the chance because neither did I have a friend who was from japan nor did I have the money to attend classes.
about 8 months ago I then earned money for the first time and instantly bought the lifetime after getting accustomed to wanikani during these 3 warm-up-levels and I haven’t felt any kind of regret ever since starting.

Even now I don’t have anyone to talk with but thanks to wanikani, some other sources and pre-knowledge I can understand quite a lot in japanese streams and the like.

also: you´ll get used to WaniKani - I was overwhelmed with the amount of reviews at the beginning but by now, I´ve gotten used to it (unless it’s one of these days which solely exist to burn your brain - luckily these aren’t that frequent)

5 Likes

This is good to know! I’ve already committed to this app until next March, so I guess once December rolls around it’ll be a no-brainer.

I’m there with ya, 一緒に頑張ろう!

1 Like

I got mine this past winter, at my two year point.

I had only got as far as level 24 and I figured I’d take at least one year more to do WaniKani and that I might well decided to go through 1-60 again at some point in the future, so I went for it.

2 Likes

Right of the bat because the less $100 promo was almost ending.

2 Likes

well then hopefully by the time december rolls around this year i’ll have the £ to afford it T.T

Oh you reset your level? awesome :durtle_noice:

1 Like

I did, yes.

In 2019 I reset from 7 to 1
Last week I reset from 24 to 10

1 Like

Oh you can choose what level to reset down to? that’s awesome goodluck with 60, you’ve got this!

1 Like