What's your reason for learning Japanese?

To be honest I started because I was procrastinating studying for my exams :smiley: I felt less guilty not studying for Uni while I was studying something else. I had started learning hiragana a few years before but then stopped before I got to Kanji (because theres so many) but this time i kept going.

5 Likes

I don’t even remember my original reason at this point but I’m too deep in at this point and I feel like it’d be a waste to stop now.

EDIT: oops, didn’t mean to reply to you, sorry about that.

9 Likes

Yeah It’ll be a waste you’re level.60 lucky to you anyway I’m level.6 I study on my own but I use Wanikani as a dictionary and a levelery(I mean to know which level I am)

5 Likes

It’s alright! :high_touch:

2 Likes

I will do a year of university exchange in Tokyo starting in September if the borders reopen by then.
I want to learn Japanese in order to enjoy as much as possible this year abroad and to be able to more easily communicate and having interaction with people.

6 Likes

Hey, welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

Make sure to read the FAQ and the Guide, there is a lot of good info in these for new users. If you’re looking for further resources check out the community compiled list of resources. For extra features and fixes for those small things which keep bugging you consult The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps.

I hope you’ll have a good time here with us and am looking forward to seeing you around!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

(Credits go to @Kumirei )

4 Likes

I always liked the sound of Japanese, so I thought it would be cool to learn! And I like the food and culture.

Now that I’m living here, I want to keep studying to become a game translator. Wanikani really helps with all the JLPT N1 vocabulary. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I live in Japan and while I can survive only using English, I’d like to be able to feel more like a resident than a tourist. Also has the added bonus of being able to understand a lot of media here without wondering how to get subtitles.

3 Likes

Welcome and tnx for reply

1 Like

You’re so lucky I wish you good grades.

2 Likes

That’s perfect and the thing is strange about Japan is their food I’m vegan and kinda don’t it every vegetable too.So their food is strange even vegetarian ones

2 Likes

Welcome to WaniKani, and good luck!

My main reason for studying Japanese is to read all the awesome books that were never translated to English, I think

2 Likes

So it’s necessary for you to learn Japanese at first place.

1 Like

Umm that’s good but I never saw a non-translated book in Japanese-Englsih

1 Like

Sort of required but not entirely though. My workplace is all English, and we have staff to help with any translation help, and that can assist with communicating with housing agencies, banks, the town halls etc. I work with people who’ve been here for years and never learned the language beyond some simple phrases and they get along fine.

I just really would like to integrate with the regular world outside of my work more!

2 Likes

Love the language, become obsessed with it. Fair amount of masochism involved I guess. Probably has some benefits of being trilingual down the road.

5 Likes

One day, I’d like to be able to read novels and communicate seamlessly. I also plan to visit Japan, and I feel becoming relatively fluent in the language would really help me understand the culture. What helps with all that, though, is the fact I became very interested in the language itself. There are many nuances in Japanese that don’t quite exist in English that I find fascinating.

3 Likes

It’s definitely hard being a vegan/vegetarian in Japan. I’m vegetarian, but it feels difficult being really strict when there is dashi in everything. I understand the struggle! Tokyo has a lot of vegetarian/vegan restaurants, which makes it a little easier.

4 Likes

Lots of doujin and niche stuff is fan-translated at best, though.

3 Likes

Hello! I hope you don’t mind me correcting the heading.

Personally, I want to learn the language in case I visit the country in the future. It’s in my bucket list so it definitely has a place in me. By then, I want to be able to communicate and not be a mere tourist who relies on translations to comprehend stuff.

…and uhhh… probably a bragging right that I know another language aside from my native language and English. Hehehe…

Cheers and good luck to your journey!

3 Likes