What's your immersion?

Great, maybe we’ll catch eachother on Zzzzzooooooommmmmmm!

1 Like

4 Likes

Nice! Sumo is cool, also lots of old K-1 kickboxing on YouTube that are broadcast in Japanese as well as new and old pancrase and muay thai

6 Likes

Mostly games, manga, and general fiction stories. I found a Japanese fanfiction site a while back and it is amazing for getting tons of good, native content, all for free. A lot of it is also really enjoyable as well.

2 Likes

This site v has a ton of subless anime, if you haven’t seen it already.
https://sites.google.com/view/anime-raws-list/home

2 Likes

I never thought of that but it sounds fun :eyes: Where do you read it?

2 Likes

Right here! Warning: You will need quite a fair bit of Japanese knowledge to even navigate the site, you know, being a Japanese site and all :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Thanks!! :heart:

1 Like

Count me in as another Sumo fan!

I don’t understand much spoken Japanese yet, but it’s a fun way for me to train my ear and I try to read the kanji on screen - Rikishi names make up quite a bit of my pre-WK readings / meanings knowledge. Plus it’s surprisingly exciting and I’m rooting for a lot of different rikishi for different reasons.

Here in Germany it’s a pain to find anime with japanese subtitles as many legal sites are geoblocked for some reason. :disappointed: So I’m always interested in new ways to immerse.

3 Likes

For me it‘s Mahjong. I started to learn about it around two years ago and I‘m still very impressed by its well-thought-out beauty. What a game!

http://mahjong-europe.org/portal/images/docs/Riichi-rules-2016-EN.pdf is a good place to start, but be aware that learning even only the basic rules is quite a task. One of the biggest problems is for me was finding three friends who were willing to join. Of course you can also play online or against the computer, but it‘s so much more enjoyable to play with a beautiful Mahjong set at a table with your friends.

5 Likes

I have asked for the free trial lesson to see if I like it.
What is your name for that site? Are you Dutch?

Envoyé de mon iPhone

1 Like

Off topic but… that’s my favourite Mastodon album cover. Some great memories come back when I listen to that album… 2007, great year :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I am Dutch! Saida is my actual name, so they know me as Saida.

1 Like

I watch sumo on TV Japan, but it’s on in the middle of the night (3:00 AM in the U.S. Central Time Zone), so I record it or just stay up to watch. I do like that it is all in Japanese and there is plenty of Japanese to read on the program.

3 Likes

Wow, look at at all of these ways to immerse yourself. :slight_smile: In a bit, I will post a list up top of possibilities.

Also, @dunlewy @anon3564849 there are several live channels on youtube. Just search for “sumo livestream” when it is afternoon in 東京 and you will find several live channels streaming either Abema or NHK. The better 力士 start at around 3:30 am here, earlier for Juryo division and such. If you want to watch it not live there are a variety of other channels.

@ekg Go commentary! This thread was worth it just for that!

Also @Saida it is so wonderful how your calligraphy classes turned out. What a great thing to be able to participate in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to do manga but it’s hard for me to read completely on my own. Voiced video games have been a bit easier for me. Currently playing my all-time favorite, Persona 4. I know how the game goes so it’s pretty easy to play in Japanese.

I would like to watch anime with Japanese subtitles but I don’t know of a good legal way to do so. Might have to stick with Steam games for now since they thoughtfully provide both languages in some cases.

4 Likes

Click on your little gear thingy:

Select “preferences”

Then select “interface”

Then select “japanese”

You will find that many many people here use WK forums in Japanese. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But, just to clarify for @anon3564849 , this is only the forums, not actual WK. Also, the translations discourse uses aren’t always perfect, since it was just machine translated.

3 Likes

Wait. Do you mean to tell me that there is a world outside of the forums? :open_mouth:

Yes, I should have mentioned that. It is a good way to become accustomed to seeing kanji around without being overwhelmed though.

7 Likes

Now your just making me blush! :blush: But, glad you liked it. My guess it there are similar stuff for shogi, though I don’t know how to play that one! ^^

(I secretly love how they do the time counting in those videos, like sing-songy in a really soft spoken voice. That’s some pretty cool skill if you ask me! ^>^)

4 Likes