What type of reordering of reviews did you find works best for you?

I’m a new user and I have been fiddling with some different ways to organize my reviews on the iOS app Tsurukame. I was wondering what you guys have found to be the best ways for you to reorganize your reviews for efficiency/speed/etc.

Personally, I reorder my lessons because I like going fast, but I just take the reviews as they come in order to not get too used to patterns in the order that they arrive in.

To expand on this: For lessons I do radicals->kanji->vocab

4 Likes

I’ve also started recording my lessons that way, it makes it much more convenient! I was asking about the reviews reordering because I’ve seen a lot of conflicted opinions about it in the forum and I was curious to see what the people who do reorder think (and in what ways they do it) and what the ones that don’t reorder think as well :smile:

1 Like

The main thing I’ve seen on here was “don’t reorder reviews”, because you might start to associate different items with each other and therefore only know an item because it’s in the context of the other items from the same level or the like.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense! What makes me ponder reordering is mainly the time I think that it would save - flicking between Japanese keyboard and English keyboard on the tablet plus writing the meaning when I’m supposed to write the reading and vice versa can be a bit frustrating.

I liked reordering to that I always had meaning and reading for the same vocab follow eachother. It was frustrating to feel like I wasn’t allowed/supposed to think of one when I was asked the other, since it felt most natural to me to recall both at the same time. (And even when not, this was kind of the reaction I wanted to encourage in myself)

6 Likes

I don’t reorder reviews at all.
Lessons, I do all vocab first, since they reinforce the kanji I’ve learned. Then all radicals, before moving in to kanji. Anytime I unlock more vocab, I’ll do those before continuing with kanji.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what Tsurukame’s exact options are but I always did reordering by radicals->kanji->vocab sorted by level. Hit the most fundamental parts first and then proceed to get everything right because you actually remember what the squigglies mean

2 Likes

I only order by type

1 Like

No reordering.

1 Like

You don’t need to switch keyboards when doing WK in any app that I know of. If you type in English for a reading question, your Latin input will be automatically converted to hiragana.

I’m also anti reordering for reviews, unless you have hundreds and you can’t figure out where to start making a dent with your queue.

4 Likes

The only times I’ve reordered reviews is when I had a big pile and I hadn’t got to zero in weeks. I just wanted the enlightened and master items out of the way first, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to focus on newest level apprentice items anyway. That seemed to me the fastest way to decrease the review pile, as even if I got one wrong It would still take a week or two to come back. I didn’t want the apprentice items to come back and keep increasing my review pile when I would just get them wrong again due to not seeing them on time at their 4 and 8 hour timings.

3 Likes

Personally I prefer to switch quickly between the keyboards so I can type directly in hiragana than to type in the English keyboard. Thank you for your insight! I’m starting to lean towards only reordering my reviews when I’m swamped or when I need to do them quickly :smile:

1 Like

I felt that reordering lessons was a dangerous game, so I never did it. For one, vocabulary is quite important to reinforce your kanji and learn how it behaves for different contexts. Also, you’ll end up with just a massive pile of lessons if you do this for a long time. Only do this if you can guarantee that you have 0 lessons at the end and of each level.

For reviews, I usually did the current level’s review items first, and then did the rest of the review items at random.

Now I only reorder on first reading, then meaning. I find that I remember the reading because of the meaning every time, so this helps me a little to get independence from the mnemonics.

6 Likes

I also think that in the end, it’s the reading you want to appear in your head as soon as you encounter the word, not the english translation (which, eventually, you’ll probably not think of at all)

6 Likes

The only order I impose on reviews is that reading and meaning always appear together with reading first. This way I get done much faster with reviews because I recall both reading and meaning at the same time and can just get that item done.

The downside of that - and the reason why at first I did not impose any order at all - is that I need to recall reading and meaning less often during a review session and thus presumably do not retain it as well. Before I’d have to recall it once for either reading or meaning, and then again some time later for the other, probably improving retention. However, I value speed more and if I don’t remember it next time, I’ll just fail it and that’s that.

1 Like

I sort by srs, so I can at least do my apprentice items if I don’t have time to do all my reviews in one sitting.

2 Likes