What to do when you get reviews wrong?

It’s an add-on. I installed it because my keyboard keys have sunken into the frame on my laptop so I often make unintentional typos whether I mean to or not. So without it, I might get sent back a tier even if I meant to type in correctly.

Absolutely adorable!!

…Yeah, I got 67% on the last review, but you’re still cute…

2 Likes

I like to slump back in my chair, and shake both hands at the screen, middle fingers extended.

4 Likes

Depends on how I got it wrong. If I get wrong then I read the mnemonic and move on. If it’s a typo then I swear a lot and throw rocks at Koichi, fortunately my arms not good enough to throw thousands of kilometers

@owen134866 @bynars99
Lol OMG that’s so funny, I type お ! I am surprised so many people have a similar strategy.

Make sure I either genuinely remember the provided mnemonic or have some other way to remember the word (a personal mnemonic using its radicals, its use in a bit of well-known vocabulary, etc.), and wait for it to come up in reviews again because apparently I didn’t know it well enough the first time.

You pointed it out in the opening post here, but I’m genuinely shocked by how many threads here indicate people think Wanikani is something to beat, rather than a learning and assessment tool. Spaced repetition is one hell of a teacher.

There’s an ignore button? 0_o Why do I not know these things…

It annoys me a bit, but I just shrug and move on. I’m here to learn kanji using SRS, afterall. So if I get an item wrong, it just means I don’t know it yet, but will soon after more reviews. These aren’t graded tests, so there’s really no need to get worked up over wrong answers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As was said, it’s a user script you have to install in your browser. It’s called override.

1. Think “I am never going to learn Japanese fluently if I can’t even remember on level 2”

2. Have an existential crisis

3a. Actually read the mnemonic
3b. Make up a mnemonic that actually works for me

Who’d a thunk that the theory of memory and learning that Tofugu/WK touts as effective would actually be, y’know, effective?

I would like to use this button but i don’t know how. Typed leg instead of foot so im gonna commit fraud in this case. Just where is that damn button? I use laptop.

Well luckily I messed up another radical too so no need to use any tricks. I still don’t know if this mysterious ignore button exists or do i need to hire a hacker to do these things.

I play Russian roulette on myself

You need to install the script Override.

1 Like

There’s a post of all the userscripts in the Wanikani subcategory API and Third Party Apps and you’ll find some useful add-ons there. Override is meant to be used responsibly so take care or it might mess with your memorization.

1 Like

I just keep trucking on. If it’s because I genuinely didn’t know, I’ll glance at the reading/meaning/mnemonic and then continue. If I got it wrong from typo, I sigh in irritation and just keep going. If I can’t get a kanji or vocab’s reading/meaning right just by glancing at it (which means no mnemonic used), then I haven’t learned it fully yet. This typically results in me getting a new level’s items wrong 2-3 times before I catch on.

So literally, I just slam myself at the reviews WK gives me until the kanji/vocab internalizes. Which is why I’m usually ok if I accidentally fail an Enlightened item. It doesn’t deserve to be Burned until I can get it right without thinking. It’s not time efficient but I’m kinda going at this at a more leisure pace so that doesn’t matter to me.

1 Like

I don’t care so much about getting it wrong. If I can’t identify the kanji/vocab in 1-2 seconds then I probably don’t know it well enough. Getting it wrong means I have to see it again sooner and get it right.

Making a typo is another story though…:triumph:

About 70 % of my mistakes involve kanji/voc i know but just do something weird. Often Im already prepared to write some meaning because i have already done reading for that word and see something similar and write meaning that is floating in my head without properly looking. Maybe most common mistake for me.

I always check my fails after reviews and try to make something to remember better those that i really just couldn’t recall. I think i cheated once with kanji because i was so horny to level up (i just couldn’t remember it so looked it up). I did make sure that i will never ever forget that one after that.

Hmm this was 20 days old. I was clicking stuff like New and latest and ended up here O_o It’s a mystery.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.