What kanji is this?

My guess is that this is a variation of a common word, but all of my radical searches have failed me so far. :thinking:

Appears in 「むらさきのスカートの女」for those who would like to know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s ()

Since it’s a variant of 噛む, it’s listed under “other forms” on jisho

6 Likes

噛む variation 嚙む

1 Like

Thanks! I still don’t understand why it didn’t show up on Jisho in radical search for 止, but maybe I’m just tired :sweat_smile:

If you go to the page for it

嚙 #kanji - Jisho.org

It has nothing listed for “parts” so it won’t come up in any searches by radical. It’s probably possible to submit a change to RADKFILE, the resource Jisho uses for radicals, but I don’t think Jisho generally makes those changes directly themselves.

2 Likes

I see, very interesting. Wonder if this variation is very uncommon, since no one has bothered with adding radicals for it so far?

嚙 is a jinmeiyou kanji, meaning it isn’t taught in schools, but it’s legal to use it in names (not sure anyone would though, in a given name anyway).

Publishers that are trying to keep the kanji relatively easy to read will often put furigana on non-jouyou kanji, or just not leave such kanji out.

This isn’t an explanation of why there are no parts listed, but just putting the kanji into context…

As you can probably tell, the right side of the kanji is 歯. The shape of 歯 was updated (新字体) from the old version 齒 (旧字体). This happened with many kanji that are in the jouyou list.

Jinmeiyou kanji are not officially updated, but sometimes if an element is the same as a jouyou kanji that got updated, people will update the jinmeiyou kanji that uses it with the same update by extension.

So, officially 嚙 is classified as jinmeiyou. And 噛 is classified as an 異字体 of it.

Again, no particular reason why it shouldn’t have parts listed.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.