What is your one best advice you would give other WaniKani users?

Don’t give up.

Learned that lesson.

Took a day off. Bad things happened…

  1. Don’t do your vocab lessons before the next level’s lessons.
  2. Don’t reset if you get overwhelmed with leeches and reviews.
  3. Don’t follow this advice.
  4. Get confused at the paradox.
  5. Make confusing lists when people are asking for genuine advice.
  6. Stay on topic.
  7. Avoid the poll thread (genuine advice).
  8. Notice the original post said one advice but you’re already committed to the dumb bit so you post the list anyway.

this answer is true chaotic neutral :smile:

What’s an example of abusing this script?

doesnt know answer

gets it wrong

undoes

gets it right

What vanilla said for double check. For reorder, skipping vocab to level up quicker.

Does your first advice still holds ? Isn’t it better to start them when you unlock them ?

find your own pace, every mind is different for studying.

If I tried to follow most of crazy hints around here, I would have quit long time ago :sweat_smile:

The whole post was a joke, so it’s the opposite of what you should do. You should absolutely be keeping up with your vocab lessons for numerous reasons :slight_smile:

Okok I was beginning to think about what I could’ve done wrong lmaoo, I really need to stop overthinking and just keep pushing with my established routine

Find what works best for you by failing and always trying again (keep going).

  • Dont let reviews accumulate
  • Install a ignore answer script ASAP
  • No breaks, even if its only 5 min a day
  • If there is a word you dont care about and you know its not useful (im looking at you baseball vocab), set synonym as “a” and ignore it. No point on trying to remember. Reading might be useful tho
  • Create your own mnemonics, especially for radicals. Some of the mnemonics from wanikani, especially on later levels, are garbage
  • Start reading at around level 20-25

Don’t take my advice😉

Use vacation mode if you’re on vacation or away from your normal routine for more than a coupe of days! You can have the best of intentions to keep up while you’re away, but if you don’t, coming back to 900 reviews is PAINFUL. You’d think I would have learned my lesson after my first time coming back to 600 reviews. Nope. Only reason I was able to bounce back quickly was because I’m on summer break from school right now. If it had been during the school year, I think I probably would have just fallen further and further behind.

Do it every day if possible to make sure you to build a routine and to maintain discipline. It’s kind of like going to the gym; a few skips can be disastrous and cause you to stop going altogether. At this point I am just burning items and eternally battling leeches, but you can see that I’ve managed to be consistent since the beginning and never let up.

Find a strategy that works specifically for you. Getting tips from other people can be useful, but people have drastically different lives and circumstances. Figuring out your personal learning style and learning how to learn (meta-learning) are critical if you want to be successful.

Personally, I split my lessons and reviews into many smaller sessions throughout the day as a way to not become overwhelmed (e.g., short bursts of 10-15 items for few minutes at the beginning of each hour). If you do have a large chunk of time available to dedicate to WaniKani, motivate/force yourself to just do it. For me, this was in the morning at the gym, and I would do reviews while recovering between sets even if I was totally exhausted.

Read and study grammar in addition to WaniKani.

I’m not the best person to be giving this advice, but figure out a pace that your can realistically manage that won’t make you miserable and quit.

Stick with it in the early days, your brain getting used to onyomi and kunyomi takes a bit. And it’s not a race between you and others to reach the mythical “60”. Go at the pace that suits you, your life and your other commitments - which will probably change over the course of using Wanikani.

Write things down! It’s a great way to memorize something, plus you can review/reference things later in a simple and easy format. Plus, it helps with Japanese handwriting - and I believe Kanji Alive demonstrates stroke order for specific kanji, if you’re concerned about that. Also, do a lot of Japanese reading/listening and translate back and forth - it seems to be a “use it or lose it” sort of deal.

This one’s for beginners but is also fundamental to success (and was the most important thing for me to do starting out): get into a daily routine where you do your initial studying at the same time each day. This will make the studying a habit quickly and minimize the amount of planning you need to do each day to get your grind in. An essential thing IMO!

Indeed. I like to do vocab as soon as it unlocks, so I’ll reorder to push vocabulary into lessons before kanji. This helps to associate individual kanji with it’s meaning much better than if I do 20 kanji lessons in a row and then much, much later do their vocabulary.

However, I’m now at a rare point where I have no vocabulary lessons to do and an apprentice count below my “do more lessons” threshold. This combination of metrics almost never happens. So I did a bunch of kanji lessons. That was a mistake as I now have a bunch of kanji, meanings, and readings, all bouncing around my brain disconnected from each other.

Coffee and Kanji. Every. Single. Day.