What Is Your Japanese Weak point?

Everyone on Wanikani uses it to better their kanji skills, I assume anyway. But is kanji your only weakpoint?

Besides Kanji, I have a weak point in my actually speakings skills. The language when I talk comes out clumsy, or unintelligible. Some would say that I simply need to use it more, which I concede is a good idea, however its hard to find the time, and speaking a foreign language to yourself on public transit will get you a few unwanted stares.

How do you make the time to fix your weakpoints?

I think my weakness is Reina Triendl

Oh you mean with the language?

17 Likes

Japanese :jp:

2 Likes

Itā€™s definitely Kanji.
Not that Iā€™m particularly good in the other areas but Kanji is certainly the worst. Thereā€™s still a long way for me to Japanese fluency :frowning:

Wanikani is helping a lot with reading and vocabulary, but I still have no idea about writing. If I donā€™t do anything about it that will be my ultimate weakness >.<

Well, Wanikaniā€™s the first thing I studied so I guess Kanjiā€™s my only strong point lmao

2 Likes

ā€œEducatedā€ guess: most people will say their weakness lies in speaking.

That aside, I donā€™t have much trouble on that front - at least to what comes to spoken Japanese speed, pronunciation and listening. However, Iā€™m seriously lacking in (useful) VOCAB (something WK will not be able to amend or alleviate that much, imho)

Also grammar still gives me a headache sometimes. I have to twist the sentences around a few times, if the thing I want to say is slightly more complicated sigh

edit: seeing @carlostdevā€™s reply, I wonder if my ā€œgut-feelingā€ about the ails of us Wanikanians is wrong!

To be fair, speaking is the hardest thing. Itā€™s literally impossible for someone to have better active knowledge than passive knowledge though, so I think people have unrealistic expectations. Like, when people complain about the speaking ability of people with N1, sometimes you get the impression they expect that ā€œN1 speakingā€ would be on the level of the N1 listening content, but thatā€™s obviously unrealistic.

3 Likes

Listening. Especially when it comes out the blue or if thereā€™s a sudden change of topic. I actually find speaking fairly easy. Perhaps because Iā€™ve spent a long time as a teacher, Iā€™m fairly good at circumlocution and donā€™t have that nasty habit of just clamming up if I donā€™t know the exact word I need.

I thought it was listeningā€¦, but more importantly, it is actually ā€œGrammarā€.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m only in my third month, so I guess everything, lol!

But I figured out my priorities. Out of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - I want my end goal to be proficient in Reading and Listening. So Iā€™m doing as much as I can to learn grammar and kanji and vocab with WaniKani (kanji/vocab) and NihongoMaster for the grammar. I practice writing now and then, but thatā€™s not a big priority, Iā€™d just like to be able to write things simply because Kanji looks so beautiful. :slight_smile:

For Listening Iā€™m using JapanesePod and I always repeat what they say. Hopefully Iā€™ll eventually also be able to speak and be understood, but itā€™s ok for me if it comes out ā€œclumsyā€.

1 Like

iā€™m getting better with kanji as i go on, so i wouldnā€™t say itā€™s too much of a weak point!
i personally find i have a hard time with recalling things when i need to say them- its one of the worst things ever!!!

Listening for sure. I can understand basic short sentences (if they talk slowly) but whenever I listen to podcasts or watch videos in Japanese itā€™s really hard to keep up with what theyā€™re saying.

Particles and keigo. And vocab. And everything.

1 Like

I was about to say speaking, but after considering for a while Iā€™ve realised that speaking, writing kanji, listening, everything in fact.

2 Likes

Staying within the same level of politeness. Unfortunately, I have a habit of switching between polite and casual speech during conversation, which makes people uncomfortable. Iā€™m so focused on trying to get my thoughts through, that I just blurt out anything my mind comes up with, and usually thereā€™s not enough time to fix the grammar on the fly :confused:

1 Like

Ehā€¦ thatā€™s not unusual among native speakers, to use polite and casual speech in the same conversation. Do you actually know theyā€™re uncomfortable? I mean, there are definitely things you can say that are just rude, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if people arenā€™t actually that bothered by what youā€™re describing.

Actually, my teacher poined it out. He said that if Iā€™ll mix polite and casual speech, it will make people uncomfortable, because they will be confused as to our relationship - if I treat them as friends, or if I prefer to put some distance. It sounded reasonable enough, so I just believed that. But itā€™s good to know I donā€™t need to fret too much about it.

1 Like

Well, I guess if thereā€™s anyone you shouldnā€™t be doing it with itā€™s your teacher. But take comfort in knowing that in real life people arenā€™t quite that strict.

Then again, I do live in Kansai, where things can be a little easier going too.

grammar: itā€™s so boring I canā€™t bring myself to actively study/exercise and just sort of hope to get it by listening to a bunch of japaneseā€¦ like via osmosis or something. itā€™s not working (it worked just fine when I was learning english though).

1 Like

Probably speaking, because I canā€™t really practise with other than myself. But I also suck at grammar and making actual sentences, so thereā€™s that too. I still have a long way to go.