What is going on in Level 9? ;___;

The eagle mnemonic is one of the better ones since it’s consistent across all of Wanikani for that い sound. Honestly, by the end, that eagle has seen some stuff. It’s done some things.

I don’t even question it anymore. 尉 = Flag+jackhammer+measurement? Military Officer with an eagle on his head

Got it. Next. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, everyone! It sounds like I’m just going to have to make some more time/effort to come up with my own mnemonics and stories when the provided ones don’t stick. Or, as has been repeated, just let the reviews drill it in, even if it means bombing a little more initially than I have been up til now.

On a side note, I actually love the stories with the continuing characters, like the eagle. That eagle is a dick. Except for when he saved me from the lion.

That reminds of me another level 9 ‘wtf’ moment — the story for 客 (guest, customer) is about someone named Kyaku, who is literally just ‘an ordinary customer’. I got so irritated over this one — what happened to the characters like Jourm and Mrs Chou and Ken, you know? Those characters are awesome, but this Kyaku is just some perfectly normal customer, with no distinct features or background, and no indication that we’ll ever hear from them again. Ugh!

And yet, here I am whining about Kyaku, who I will now probably remember every time I see the kanji. :sweat_smile:

Thanks again, everyone!

2 Likes

Small follow up: I just got 100% on the reviews from the kanji I was whining about last night. So I am now chalking all of this up to Wanikani being a sometimes-very-frustrating (possibly evil) genius. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I also thought eagle was one of the worst ones. The i-sound in eagle is much longer, and the word starts with an ‘e’ to boot.

I can recommend looking at KanjiDamage for both alternative stories and use of radicals. There’s also a script that displays a KanjiDamage window in the reviews.

1 Like

Just don’t be easily offended when using KanjiDamage :rofl: Their mnemonics are on a whole other level than WK

1 Like

This is definitely a problem that comes up a lot.

1 Like

Yeah, you will get more of this in later levels as well. I can’t remember which level it was (16?) where there are a lot of similar words using very similar kanji and it took me a hot minute to get it all memorized correcty.

Also, make sure that you start making mnemonics everytime there is a 人 (にん/じん) in a word because it will mess you up at some point.
Just use Nintendo and Gin/Jeans for every one of those that comes up :slight_smile:
Same goes for 日. (Nietzsche and ji*z)

I actually found the mnemonics for 和 and 乗 to stick very well because they are so stupid. :man_shrugging:

WK does not align with the ‘official’ radicals found in dictionaries but that will only screw you once you try writing. This is not really a problem imo because you need to learn stroke order anyway (lots of exceptions to the rules).

The mails are still funny on level 20. There are some lackluster ones but the “get back to work” humor aligns with my humor quite well…

I guess for me I just accepted it and used it for so long that there was never any ambiguity. It comes up pretty often throughout all the levels too. I just had a lesson batch with 緯 in it.

Jyoum can be a real dick as well… :smiley:

3 Likes

Wait till you get to 浄 where he “cleanses” entire villages from the face of the earth with a tsunami. :fearful:

2 Likes

I love how you blurred that as a spoiler. Like we’re all waiting with bated breath for what’s to come of the WK mnemonic lore. Only us level 60’ers know the epic end to the story. Just wait, there’s an incredible twist at the end. You won’t believe it.

5 Likes

Well, everyone covered the mnemonic question pretty well :slight_smile:
But to address your concerns about the energy in the emails, for level 10 they offer a pretty nice celebratory one and some insight on recommending starting grammar, if you haven’t already. :partying_face:

1 Like

Ugh, I take it all back. I just got back-to-back mnemonics in Level 9 using a knockoff version of the Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast. I’m sorry Wanikani, I should’ve never doubted you :sob:

4 Likes

I too felt like there was a shift at level 9, though I felt it was generally getting harder more so than a lack of effort on the WK side.

The kanji start getting more complicated, and they start to be similar both within the same level, and to previous levels, ie: 反仮, 乗 重, 度 屋, 実定.

As with all things, you learn the subtle differences with time - especially when you get them both wrong in one review session and can look at them side by side.

I do wish it was a bit easier in WK to see visually similar Kanji, though WK doesn’t even consider them visually similar, ie:

WK thinks 友 is visually similar to 反, but 仮 isn’t listed as similar to either of them.

Instead there’s seven different ‘similar’ kanji for 仮 - 返, 飯, 坂, 阪, 販, 板, 板.

:scream_cat:

Oath. Can also recommend kanjidamage like others here except they haven’t posted a link to the wk userscript.

Dunno if you will find this helpful, but I personally slightly reworked Peace this way:

When no one has to go hungry and there are no empty mouths to feed (thanks to there being plenty of grain), everyone lives in peace.

Talking (wa) will help resolve conflict through peaceful means, thus achieving peace.

1 Like

There’s a kanji on level 60 that means “Shyamalan”? I can’t wait!

2 Likes

do do do, push pineapple, shake a tree,

sorry lol

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.