What is a こういち?

Can someone please tell me what a こういち is? I’ve seen it in so many mnemonics and it doesn’t help me remember them because I don’t recall ever encountering this word (I must have missed it). I tried looking it up in a dictionary but none of the entries seemed right.

よろしくお願いします。

21 Likes

It’s a person’s name. Specifically the person who made the company that made this site.

36 Likes

This is a Koichi → @koichi
Also this: :angrykoichi:

24 Likes

Ermahgerd, and he’s a H2G2 fan also.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Yes, you’ll see the number 42 pop up as you learn because of this.

You’ve already learned 四十に at level 6, for example, and you’ll learn 四十に階 at 12

Oh and you may have noticed that ‘the answer’ is referenced in 四十に’s lesson

7 Likes

Maybe 3 crabs in a trenchcoat

6 Likes

Oh and, to help you remember @koichi and こういち!

21 Likes

What isn’t a こういち?

23 Likes

This thread is funny. I’ve been on this site way too long… remember when Koichi and Viet used to post regularly on the forums

11 Likes

One more month and it’ll have been a full year since Jaered actually posted anything on the forums :frowning:

4 Likes

Maybe a better question is, “what is a こういち to you?” こういち can be many things to different people! ^>^

16 Likes

No one ever asks how is Koichi lain

43 Likes

They first need to figure out where is こういち in order to ask him directly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, to further help you out, @EarleyGrave, he was first introduced in the Construction (工) and Mouth (口) kanji.

6 Likes

I didn’t get the reference back then can you explain :3

How is kumirei :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll do you one better. Why is Koichi?

20 Likes

In the book series The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a giant computer is constructed to answer the great question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. The answer it comes out with is 42.

That’s why “the answer” is a reference when learning the vocabulary for 42. It also says “So long and thanks for all the fish” which is a reference to the title of the fourth book in the original “trilogy”.

5 Likes

A koichi (kouichi in mnemonics) is our master and overlord, do not say their name in vein.

In fact you should probably refer to them as “he who shall not be named”.

1 Like

If he didn’t want his name to be used in vain, he wouldn’t have put himself in so many mnemonics :wink:

5 Likes