What if I use WaniKani just as a "school book"?

I’m still in the first free levels but I know that from level 4 you will have to pay, so I thought: ‘What if I used WaniKani as a school book?’. That is, I do not use the paid service they offer but only radical and kanji lists, in a self-taught way.
Do you think it’s a good idea?

1 Like

You are asking that question to a community of people who have paid for WaniKani, and who believe in it. My guess is that you will not find a single person here who thinks it is a “good idea.” :slight_smile:

The data has been made open as a service, but the data itself does not give you all of the advantages of the SRS system. However if your financial situation does not allow you to use WK, you could certainly manage to learn from it. It would just take much more effort.

15 Likes

You can use Anki for SRS, but it is a lot more work. Wanikani’s main advantage is that it cuts out that busy work and frustration so you can focus on learning.

8 Likes

In this case you are not really using Wanikani at all. Wanikani is a SRS kanji and vocab system. You wouldn’t be using SRS but just using the site as a list for radicals and kanji. If you are looking for a textbook maybe it would be better to try Heisig’s method?

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try

1 Like

I’ll try it, thanks

It’s definitely ‘‘cheaper’’ to use Remember the Kanji and/or Kanji Learner’s Course (two different books). I have both, and I also have Anki, which is free. You can perfectly learn Kanji that way (there are great flashcard decks for both books) and much better than trying to manually copy information from Wanikani’s website. But anyway, Wanikani just makes it all way easier to learn, more fun, more structured. It’s worth the money

4 Likes

I’ll try read them, thanks for the information!

If you can’t find the ‘Kanji Learner’s Course’, add the word ‘Kodansha’ in front. It should show up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.