What does ford mean?

This kanji apparently means “ford” in english. What does ford mean in english?

I looked it up and got this

Which I understand, but in the meaning explanation for the word “Negotiation”, it makes 0 sense to me…

Please help me!!

The mnemonic is a pretty abstract usage, but I don’t really see how to simply it more. Ford means to go across. So negotiation here is going across and mixing with the other side.

It’s a metaphor. Literally, ‘to ford’ means to cross a river or body of water, but you can also think of it like you are crossing an obstacle, or you are struggling to overcome a challenge. ‘To ford’ implies you are bravely (maybe even foolishly) going straight into a challenging situation - in this case negotiations. Hope that helps!

6 Likes

It means what your dictionary says. The way WK uses it here is not really correct usage. Koichi’s basically using it like ‘wade’ which is pretty similar.

I think there are a few cases like this. Got to get a little creative to shoehorn everything together.

it might help to also define for yourself ‘negotiate’ which can mean to make agreements between two or more parties or to move past/through obstacles. ie: “The ambassadors negotiated a peace agreement to close the war.” or “Carefully Lionel rode his horse down the rocky canyon path, cautiously negotiating between the large stone boulders.”

1 Like

Ok I see thank you :+1:

:grinning: …or:

9 Likes

I was gonna post this but I fell asleep. :wink:

I’m not native so some words are odd to me. Yonder and loiter were new and now this. Maybe Japanese loiter and ford to yonder more often than Euro trash.

1 Like

Although that is a few levels ahead of I remember in school the word was used when describing pilgrims crossing over rivers with their horse and carts if that helps you to remember the meaning.

1 Like

It probably shouldn’t say “ford through.” You can just say “ford a river,” not “ford through a river.” I can see how metaphorically you could ford difficult negotiations as well.

It’s not a very common word in English. I’d probably wager that 99% of the times I’ve encountered this word were while playing Oregon Trail as a kid.

8 Likes

As a native English speaker, I had never heard of the word “ford” until I encountered it on WaniKani.

1 Like

Yes that was the exact game I was thinking of! We played the ollddd version in school not the new fancy steam version the kids are used to. Other than that I can’t think of ever hearing “ford” in an everyday context.

1 Like

I’ve always known “ford” to mean a shallow point in a river which can be traversed via foot (wading), car, or even bike sometimes. If you don’t have one near you, it’s probably not a particularly common word though.

There may be other names for it in other places, but as someone from England, “ford” is what I’ve always known it as.

1 Like

If that car was a Ford, this would be the best thing in the world.

2 Likes

If only I could afford a ford so that I could drive it through a ford in Oxford.

Side note: Many towns in the UK contain the suffix “ford” which actually comes from this kind of ford. Bradford, Salford, Watford, Stafford, Oxford, etc. “Oxford” apparently comes from “ford of the oxen”:

3 Likes

Not to be confused with a fjord.

Imaging fording four fjords in a Ford that you can afford

11 Likes

So you’re also ready for that kanji meaning dysentery?

1 Like

It would be fine up until the third fjord, but you’d probably frown at the fourth fjord as your tour gets thwarted due to a flooded ford filled with thawed floe. Make sure you bring a figure of food and fluid though, for you may feel faint when you finish. If you forget to fetch feed, you can always find a few fish in the fjord.

2 Likes

when i was a kid, our bus to school route would cross one of those low water concrete bridges crossing a creek (what we in US south refer to a river of that size in your picture) every day on a dirt road route to pick up a kid. several times when storming we wouldn’t be able to take that poor kid home. he’d have to …ford the fjord of his own accjord…i mean accord?

2 Likes