What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

hurtut said... Hi

I have two types of mistakes during kanji reviews:
1/ I just forgot the reading/meaning
2/ I mislead with another kanji because of the kanji shape

Type-2 error is pretty annoying, and when it happens (quite often with some specific kanjis), I have to dig in the wanikani kanji library to find out what was the f*** kanji I misled with ! Usually, it is often the same.

What would be great is a addon that shows me, when I answer wrong to a kanji review, the other kanji I use to mislead with. In order for me to do a quick review of all the set of kanji I often get wrong with it...

I suppose it needs to access some kind of memory of all the mistakes I've done with a specific kanji, and what were the usual error I do... ?
 That's indeed a very good idea. I also had it a few weeks ago! Would really help in de-learning those wrong associations!
veleskola said... Is it possible to get a userscript that removes radicals from reviews? 
They're the biggest waste of time IMO. 
 In fact, there are a couple of userscript solutions that I've tried.

Anki Mode https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/15950-wanikani-anki-mode
Turn on Anki Mode to easily insert the correct answer with spacebar, then mark as correct with '1' or wrong with '2.' Can be used in conjunction with previously mentioned reorder userscript, to group all the radicals together. This is what I do. Then you can turn off for kanji and vocab.

WaniKani Just The Vocab (Skip Radicals and Kanji) https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/24615-wanikani-just-the-vocab-skip-radicals-and-kanji
Automatically answers all radical and kanji, though you can turn off the kanji by setting it false by editing the userscript. I've had problems with it messing up remaining review count, maybe conflicting with other userscripts, but still an option.

I wonder if there is a script for all the new items learned in say past couple of days? I love the current review feature, but don’t want to see all the items, just the new ones.

Would be much obliged and thankful.

Is there a script that can show stats about the word? As you can see on Jisho.org, for example - you can see the JLPT level, in which grade is it taught in Japan (even though I don’t think it’s as important), and how common the word is (there’s a list I remember I saw online, some time ago, and on Jisho there’s a “common word” mark (I remember there was a button that said if the word is within the Top 5k (?) most used word in newspapers, too.

Slightly different, but on Jisho you can see collocations of the word, it would be great if someone could word out a way to make it visible\linkable from WaniKani too. 

I have a script on my old laptop that would auto-show the lesson info if I answered wrong.
I can’t find it now, can anyone help me find it?

Molans said... I have a script on my old laptop that would auto-show the lesson info if I answered wrong.
I can't find it now, can anyone help me find it?
 Look here: /t/The-New-And-Improved-List-Of-API-and-Third-Party-Apps/7694/1

Are there any scripts to lock up the descriptions unless you enter it wrong or get both the reading and the meaning correct. I tend to peek a little bit too much that it’s become a habit.

KSamo said... I wonder if there is a script for all the new items learned in say past couple of days? I love the current review feature, but don't want to see all the items, just the new ones.

Would be much obliged and thankful
 Try this /t/Userscript-Dashboard-Progress-Plus/8309/1 plus this /t/Userscript-Vocabulary-for-Dashboard-Panel-115/15905/1

Probably already been listed but the ability to have single word kanji that are vocabulary - say “we are looking for the other reading” instead of marking as wrong. Basically, what it already does when it is in the Kanji phase.

for example, as a kanji if I put “otoko”/“dan” in for 男 , but the Kanji is looking for the other reading, the text box would jiggle and say “that is the on reading, were looking for kin reading” (or vice versa). It does this already for kanji, but not at the vocabulary level. If I know both readings, I don’t care if I can identify if it is the on or kun reading.

hallus said... Probably already been listed but the ability to have single word kanji that are vocabulary - say "we are looking for the other reading" instead of marking as wrong. Basically, what it already does when it is in the Kanji phase.

for example, as a kanji if I put "otoko"/"dan" in for 男 , but the Kanji is looking for the other reading, the text box would jiggle and say "that is the on reading, were looking for kin reading" (or vice versa). It does this already for kanji, but not at the vocabulary level. If I know both readings, I don't care if I can identify if it is the on or kun reading.
 No, because that would be wrong. Words don't have readings. You get them right or wrong. Ultimately it won't matter if you know both readings and which one is the on or kun reading, because if you wanna say 'man' you better say おとこ. What you're proposing is an easy way out and will probably hurt your learning.

I would like a script that allows me to test myself on critical condition items, by revealing the reading and meaning when I hover. 

Franken said... I would like a script that allows me to test myself on critical condition items, by revealing the reading and meaning when I hover. 
 Are you familliar with JavaScript? You can adjust this /t/Userscript-Vocabulary-for-Dashboard-Panel-115/15905/1 for your needs changing Request URL and some parsing IF's.

Edit - @Mempo I reread what you wrote.

It is the easy way out, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a bad thing.

I find the diff between on and kun knowledge to be about as useful as knowing stroke order - all of us are taking the easy way out by not writing characters a billion times.

In other words- I just don’t care. In compounds, it obviously matters, but in single word vocabulary, I just don’t care.

For my purposes, I find knowing even more than one Japanese reading to be a waste of time, given that I am only trying to improve my ability to translate - Japanese to English (you know, that is the intended learning outcome of this program). HOWEVER, because of compounds, generally people should know more than one reading which is why I am saying that this should be implemented. I don’t actually think wanikani’s purpose at all is to teach English -> Japanese, so I’m not sure what makes you think that you need to know that man is best said as “Otoko” for the purposes of wanikani at least. In kaniwani, or English to JPN, then sure I guess, but I have literally no need to speak Japanese.

it doesn’t have to be a global setting. It would be nice to turn it on for myself.

I don’t know if this script already exists, I tried searching for it and couldn’t find it. I’d like to be able to see a more detailed SRS breakdown on my homepage (listing number of items in Apprentice 1, 2, 3, 4 and Guru 1, 2). Does it exist? Would it be difficult to knock up?

ありがとうございます!

Not sure that’s what you’re looking for, but here is what I use:

Yeah I saw that one, it’s not really what I’m looking for. That’s a breakdown by type of item rather than level of item. Thanks though!

Its possible, but would be slower. Probably not obnoxiously slow, but probably noticeable. Also would be different API calls than what my scripts currently doing, so not a quick addition. Plus, that’s a lot of info to show in a fairly small space. Not sure how pretty it would be.
http://wanikaniexplorer.com/ is a stand-alone site that will give a detailed breakdown of everything. Not exactly what you’re looking for either though. Gives a breakdown of everything and what level it is, but don’t think it gives a nice total.

Edit: Looks like that site may not work anymore… It says I’m level 3. Also says data was retrieved sometime in late 2015 (forget the exact date now)

Yeah, I don’t know anything about script writing so I don’t know how hard it would be, but I thought as the Reviews Timeline script shows the SRS level of each item it might be possible.

Regarding design, I just knocked this together (very roughly), but I don’t think it’s the ugliest thing in the world:

Ah. Thought you were talking about breaking each level into radical/kanji/vocab/totals like my script does, but expanding each of those into their respective levels, creating a 4x4 grid (plus titles)

Ah yes that would be too much! No, this is all I’m after.