What did I do wrong?

Your ゆ is a big ゆ and not a ゅ. What you wrote is niyuu rather than nyuu.

From the FAQ:
Why is my reading answer for 入 (にゅう), 上 (じょう), 九 (きゅう), 力 (りょく), 十 (じゅう), or 女 (じょ) being marked incorrect? I’m putting in the right answer!
Most likely, you are putting in a big や, ゆ, or よ instead of a small one. See the difference?

にゆう = niyuu
にゅう = nyuu
じよう = jiyou
じょう = jou/jyou
きゆう = kiyuu
きゅう = kyuu
りよく = riyoku
りょく = ryoku
じゆう = jiyuu
じゅう = juu/jyuu
じよ = jiyo
じょ = jo/jyo
The difference is big, and it’s important to get these correct. For example, じゆう means “freedom,” so if you wrote that in instead of じゅう you would be saying something completely different.

12 Likes

Speaking of the FAQ, it’s a good read:

FAQ

4 Likes

Now that the OP’s question has been answered… I have to ask.

How do users take + crop + upload screenshots so easily? It takes me enough time (>1 minute) to do these things, so I’m not usually willing to do so. This question has bothered me for months, as I’ve seen lots of users happily uploading screenshots to the forum.

While it is normal for new users to make posts like this, what bothers me about this case is that it was easier to take + crop + upload a screenshot than to search the forum (or use Google).

My Workflow

For me, it’d involve the following steps:

• take screenshot
  • open image editor
  • paste screenshot
  • crop image
  • save to hard disk
  • create forum post
  • upload from computer
  • navigate to folder where image is
  • wait for image to be uploaded

Is everybody doing this, or is there a faster way? I think I’m out of the loop. T_T

1 Like

Use the snipping tool, if you have Windows. Then you can just clip the bit you want, Ctrl+c, then in the reply window, Ctrl+v.

1 Like

That’s how I did it, although it took me <1 minute.

2 Likes

You don’t need to save anything to post an image.

Personally I have “Grab” (on a Mac, a system app), and it allows me to take a screenshot of whatever part of the screen/window I like, so I don’t need to crop. Then it’s basically: open Grab → take desired screenshot → save-> post.
I believe there should be apps that do this easily for other OS’s as well.

Edit: Well the other way people suggested is even quicker, didn’t know you could do that…

My 2-cent-psychological explanation for this phenomenon is that it’s easier to take a snapshot of the situation we’re in then to really look for solutions outside…

2 Likes

In addition to the snipping tool (if on Windows), I’ve found ShareX ( https://getsharex.com/ ) to be extremely powerful, especially if I’m taking many screencaps of the same spot on screen (e.g. while watching anime). To really get the most out of it it needs a bit of configuring but even with defaults it’s handy.

1 Like

Also, my joke answer for the topic title question is “You started studying kanji before you finished studying hiragana”

badumtish

2 Likes

The Snipping Tool works very well for me. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.