What are your goals for Japanese in 2022 and have you been able to reach your goals for 2021?

Yep, it’s honestly such a bummer.

Hopefully they will still be around in a couple of years, whenever I’m done with uni or maybe by then I’d be able to fill out the paperwork on my own :sunglasses:

1 Like

I didn’t have specific Japanese goals for 2021, but what i’ve done is:
-WK level 34
-1 hr / Week Italki lesson
-Minna no nihongo 1 ~complete
-Started reading with the absolute beginner book club
-Listened to lots of learn japanese podcasts
-Listened to Harry Potter in japanese, didn’t understand much (maybe again next year)
-Japanese shows and music for fun and casual immersion

Goals for 2022
-WK level 60 (10 lessons a day should do it based on my remaining items)
-Complete Minna no nihongo 2
-Continue weekly Italki lesson
-Establish daily reading habit (even 1 manga page per day)
-SRS vocab in addition to WK, 5 new words a day (I think I will use Kitsun)
-Take JLPT N4 in July
-Take JLPT N3 in December
-More shows/music/entertainment for fun and more casual immersion
-Take a trip to Japan! (Covid allowing)

Not sure I’ll accomplish all my goals, but I’m excited to try!

11 Likes

I only had two goals for 2021:

• Keep up and develop my conversational ability - DONE thanks to weekly italki conversation lessons
  • Take the N3 - NOT DONE due to Covid

So for 2022:

• Take the N3 - I definitely feel ready for this so fingers crossed that I’m able to take it in London in the summer
  • Read more - the most important as I joined two books clubs and wasn’t able to finish either although personal life did get in the way
  • Finish Tobira - halfway through so far so feel like this is a very realistic goal to carry me through the first half of the year
  • Get to level 40 on Wanikani - recently reset to 17 because the hellish 20s had really gotten to me and I was developing leeches left right and centre. I’d like to get out of the 20s at the very least!
10 Likes

My goals for 2021

• to read japanese material everyday
  • write JLPT N3

Well I was too lazy and ended up not doing the first one much. But I did write the N3 exam in December after a year of starting Japanese and I’m glad to say I’ll pass :grin:

My goals for 2022

• Wanikani Level 60
  • speaking practice twice a week
  • Write JLPT N2
  • reading Japanese material everyday :flushed:
  • go to Japan (I really hope this becomes possible)
12 Likes

N3 In a year? That is impressive, Good work dude! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks man! Couldn’t have done it without this community :grin:

1 Like

My goals for 2021 were:

1. Restart from scratch with my Japanese as I had previously stopped learning for 2 years and I had forgotten the little I knew.
  2. Be at an N5 level by Midsummer (i.e finish Genki 1)
  3. Finish Genki 2 by Christmas.
    I completed numbers 1 and 2 but I’m still only halfway through Genki 2 due to prioritising WK and demotivation due to student life already forcing me to be in the books all day.

In 2022, or at least for the first half of it, I want to

1. Finish Genki 2.
  2. Read at least 5 manga volumes in Japanese
  3. Continue taking lessons on Italki at least every other week + continue reaching a new level on WK within 10 days each time.

I take it easy with my Japanese since I’m also studying Spanish and want to reach advanced in that as well, so I don’t have as much time to focus on my Japanese. As long as I don’t quit again and have some sort of progress, I’m happy.

11 Likes

Good luck! Some good graded readers could be a good way to practise kana and the most basic kanji. Here are a bunch of free ones at level 0 that I used :smiley: : Free books – にほんごたどく.
Happy new year!

3 Likes

Given that I started from scratch 6 months ago, I didn’t really have defined goals or, at most, they were far-fetched (e.g. doing the N4 exam this December. Nah, I definitely wasn’t ready then).

What I managed to accomplish is:

• Achieve an almost N4 grammar and vocab proficiency. In concrete terms, I finished Genki I and I’m about to finish II, almost reached the milestone on Core 10K.
  • Master 98% of N4 kanjis (“only” reached level 20, which is still quite a good achievement given that, again, I didn’t know anything before this journey and my teacher is extremely happy). I feel like I could realistically slow down as I should improve my listening and speaking skills but frankly WK is a very good source of procrastination.
  • Wield decent writing skills. My writing is very good according to my teacher but I really need to work on my speaking skills.
  • Being able to follow something on podcasts.

For 2022:

• get to level 40. I could probably push to level 60 but it’s probably better to hone my listening.
  • do my N3 exam next December. It will be a bit challenging because of my job and other life goals but I should be able to do it, or at least get close to an accepting grade;
  • properly set up anki rather than rely on half-baked solutions;
  • read a manga from start to finish. I thought of よつばと!or 日常, right now I’m going through some Satori Reader stories but not for too long. There’s plenty (too much?) of hand-holding there.
  • Listen to many more Japanese podcasts, anime and whatever.
  • Maybe consider iTalki? I’d really benefit from being able to speak in japanese outside of just my teacher and 2 friends.
  • Travel to Japan at some point.

I was hoping to use this Christmas holiday to fill in the gap and intensively listen to podcasts non-stop. That’s why I’ll stop writing in English for a while.

12 Likes

2021 goals:

• Completing Genki 1 & 2 (done)
  • Completing Tobira (will finish at chapter 10/15, goal dropped)
  • Completing 2/3 of WaniKani (done)
  • Get to JLPT level N2-1 (not done)

Also read a load of novels and short stories which wasn’t exactly planned.

2022 goals:

• Finish Tobira
  • JLPT N2 in June or December
  • Read, read and read more manga and books, and watch movies
10 Likes

I got into Japanese this year only… in July tbh… my husband “forced” me to watch anime now and then and suddenly it just clicked. I’m pretty good at languages and wanted to not depend on the (sometimes terrible ) subtitles.

I found WK in August but only got lifetime this week.

My goals for 2022:

• Do daily WK with5-10 new lessons a day
  • Pick up MNN 1 again now that my work schedule is less
  • Watch anime regularly
  • Try and read whatever comes by (snack packagings, a manga in Japanese I bought… etc)
11 Likes

for 2022 I will try to keep the same pace I have today, since I started bunpro as well.

For me 2021 was great because I got to know wanikani, I wish I could have started it years before, but hey, before late than never.

Especially after 10 years without studying any japanese, I am happy with my results so far, I dont feel so frustrated now when reading a “typical wall of text japanese article” that we also tend to use the expression “visual pollution”.

Gradually I am learning and making many mistakes step by step.

I am about to hit the 365 days streak, I think I will create a thread here saying all my thoughts, pros and cons, maybe it could help improve WK in the future.

6 Likes

I’m not sure when exactly I will visit Japan. I’ll see once I’m back in uni.

Anyways, goodluck with your studies! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good luck, you too!

1 Like

I only just started studying Japanese in any serious kind of way this month. I only found this site less than two weeks ago? And I’m already lvl 2!!! Yaaaaaa!!!

Anyway, my goals for this year…

From reading the forums, I am taking the advice of a lot of people. I would like to get to about lvl 10 on here, then focus more on the grammar lessons and books.

I would like to be a lvl where I can comfortably take the N5 by the end of 2022. Maybe I will be beyond that, and that’d be great, but as long as I just keep at it regularly, that’s my main goal.

And I hope that Covid is over so I can get back to Japan. I used to go 2-3 times a year…but it will be 2 years minimum by next time! (Not counting airport transfers.)

13 Likes

I got back into studying Japanese properly this year after being very on and off (mostly off) for a while, so I didn’t really have any goals for 2021, but getting back into it and starting to be able to consume native content (though slowly and a bit shakily) are achievements enough. i have i think a decent anki setup going on, and i also got lifetime this time around! the crabigator and i are going strong.

for 2022, I want to make good wanikani progress - I’m gonna aim for around lvl 40. I also want to keep consuming content in japanese - these goals might be a little short term, but this year I’d like to finish playing through the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney trilogy, get up to date with the D. Gray Man manga, and finish a series of 9 light novels that ive already started in Japanese. a society at my uni might also be starting a Japanese conversation group this january - i really should go a couple of times because while my reading is getting better by the day, i don’t have much confidence with speaking yet.

good luck everybody! happy new year!

9 Likes

Very nice! How’d you like Quartet BTW? Considering it when I finish second Genki

1 Like

My 2021 goals were fairly general, having gotten back to studying Japanese after a few years of hiatus.

1. make tangible progress in WK - Done. It is slower, but the consistency is there. Given I am supplementing with other stuff (below) and I also write down every single Kanji, radical and vocab item for practice, I am quite happy

2. make tangible progress in grammar - Done. Finished Genki I, progress through Genki II (Ch.2 atm)

3. take conversation and general lessons with native speakers - Done. Only started a month ago but this has made a world of difference in my ability to get out of the comfort zone and try speaking. Not to mention, getting to talk with cute Japanese ladies and having a good time at it.

4. continue watching anime, try reading a little, get more immersed - Mostly Done. I understand a little bit more over time, so the progress is notable. Though I have not read as much as I should have I think. Point 3 is helping to address that tho.

For 2022, the goals are pretty much the same. I don’t think I’ll get through WK this year but making consistent progress beats that. When I finish Genki II, I’ll move on to Quartet probably or perhaps Tobira. Continue taking lessons with natives. Enhance immersion by switching the games I play to Japanese. I think the last point is probably right about now because I am only getting to the point where I feel a little more comfortable with hearing the language and looking at Kanji :sweat_smile:

And lest we forget, this is very much a marathon and so as long as there’s consistent progress that’s all that matters. Better taking it slower but consistently than charging ahead at full speed and burning out. I’ve been studying English for close to two decades now and so it is important to keep in mind that it simply takes time and consistent effort :pray:

8 Likes

My goal of 2021 was to reach Level 60 with WaniKani by Jan 2022 then reset my hard cases for the next 6 months to a year. Bunpro has been hard for me to get into and now I will have no choice but to do it! Arghhh…why is grammar so hard?!? to “finish up” Bunpro I will actually need to start doing my Reviews!! lol

2 Likes

ha! almost the same! I started learning Japanese in college! that was…jeez…2000-2001? and it’s been off and on for several years between my other studies. I now have English, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, and Korean. My goal for 2022 is to finally study coding and replace all my wanikani time with coding projects.