What are your goals for Japanese in 2022 and have you been able to reach your goals for 2021?

I want to take the N2 (or N1 if possible) in June or December. What do you think of Bunpro and would you like a study buddy?

1 Like

My goals for this year:

• Reaching level 60 :sunglasses:
  • Making a consistent progress with Japanese novels :sunglasses:
  • More immersion :sunglasses:
  • Preparing for JLPT (N2 + N1) :sunglasses::sob:
  • Reading books from my 積ん読 instead of adding to it :sunglasses::sob:
  • Going to a language school in Japan :sob::sob:

My goal for 2022

• Burning all items on WK
  • More immersion, especially listening
  • Preparing for JLPT (N2 + N1)
  • Reading books from my 積ん読 instead of adding to it
  • Going to a language school in Japan
11 Likes

I never used Bunpro, but I heard good things about it. I think for now I’m good without a study buddy, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I only started learning japanese this year, my goals were not too ambitious:

• Completing Genki I and II - DONE
  • Reading the natural japanese version of Crystal Hunters - ON IT
  • Not giving up

2022 goals:

• Finish WK
  • Finish Quartet I
  • Read more, even if its one page a day
  • Work on improving my listening skills
6 Likes

The quartet books are imo an improved version of the genki books.
Unlike tobira the texts in the books don’t feel like they are dumbed down that much. I couldn’t really get into the tobira book so I am doing the quartet books instead. Of course you will need someone to check your answers for the exercises.

There is just one issue I have with the quartet books, this is also true for all other intermediate textbooks. They don’t cover some common grammar points like すら、飽くまでも etc.

2 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll probably do that then. Gotta finish GII first D:

1 Like

Stop going on week breaks because i just end up forgetting, form a concrete schedule and don’t give up.
-FINISH GENKI 1
-LEVEL 20-30 WANI KANI
-Online tutoring

just some goals, have a great day everyone!

4 Likes

It’s very inspiring to read what everyone has accomplished and what they set out to do next year!!

Goals from 2021:

-I did not begin the year even thinking I would ever study Japanese.

Accomplished 2021:

-I learned hiragana and katakana in the beginning of August and then joined Wanikani on August 17th (what I am considering the beginning of my Japanese learning journey.) So basically I have done way more than I ever thought would be possible!

-became a lifetime member on December 20th because I realized I don’t want to fall off my studies

Goals for 2022:

-I am aiming to get to level 60 by the end of the year. I know if I stay focused I can do it
-I want to finish Tae Kim’s guide to grammar and hopefully purchase another textbook (or two)
-Start reading a novel/manga/some kind of Japanese text outside of textbooks
-Translate my favorite Japanese songs - I know there are already translations but I want to practice for myself

Good luck to everyone and we can do this! Excited to see how much I have grown this time next year.

12 Likes

you took 4 months to get to lvl 12 or did you reset at some point?

2021: I didn’t really set goals, but I like the idea!

• Guru level 60 by my birthday
  • Pass JLPT N2
  • Always be participating in at least on book club.
  • Research opportunities for artists in Japan-- (Residencies, etc), and make a list of at least 20 options.
  • Listen to at least an hour of native speaker sans subtitles per week.
  • Write at least one Instagram post per week in both languages.
6 Likes

Lol yeah. Is that slow or something? I thought I was moving at a pretty decent pace :cold_sweat: :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

Whoa, it’s really motivating to read through amazing progress some folks have achieved in the time given.

As for me, goals for 2021 were pretty simple:

• Keep the regularity up, even if I go at a super slow pace (I’ve reset in December 2020)
    [I’m happy with the fact I keep up daily WK and even if I’m forced to take a few days break, I can scale reviews ok]
  • Finally start some more formal grammar study
    [That’s been a tough one, but I started going through Cure Dolly’s organic JP series (really fond of her material) and set up account on Kitsun]

Goals for 2022:

• Catch up more with grammar.
    I’m planning to go with Kitsun and do some immersion-based learning with the method proposed by Cure Dolly, already going through my first ep of anime with JP subs.
  • Reach around 35 lvl of WaniKani
  • Probably install an app to start some exchange with a native speaker. I feel like I should do this, since I’m pretty much not starting Bunpro in favor of Japanese structure course of CD’s for now.

That’s pretty much it! I’ve been enjoying seeing the progress so far, so I’m pretty confident I’ll reach 60 in the future, but when I do, I want my Japanese ability to be as smooth across the board as possible, without any areas being my Achilles foot so to speak.

Good luck and have fun on the journey folks!

11 Likes

Seriously, move at the pace that feels right to you!!!
Also, once the Enlighten reviews start getting mixed in, the review workload increases quite a lot, so overdoing it in the beginning makes it not fun later on.

If you are mixing WaniKani with other forms of study, going slowly on WK gives you more time to study in other ways, right? Especially, if you’re still just beginning grammar study.

Once you’ve got basic grammar down, you can easily pick up they pace of vocabulary acquisition, which WK+ reading native material is fabulous for.

FYI, if you haven’t discovered the book clubs here yet, go check them out. You will easily meet your goal of reading a manga or light novel that way-- you get lots of support.

7 Likes

Well, technically you could move at a slightly faster pace, but most people who try that tend to burn out at some point and either reset to a lower level or quit altogether. So, like @Wildjinjer said, pick a pace that is suitable for you, and don’t forget that kanji only makes up a very small percentage of the Japanese language, so I can only advise you to start grammar studies early, and also to read in Japanese in order to solidify your knowledge and put it to practical use.
After all, it’s all about making good use of the language in the ways you’d like to, and in the end it doesn’t matter at all whether it took you 1 or 2 or 3 years to get through WK.

4 Likes

it is a nice pace, but not to finish WK by the end of 2022.

As you progress actually you get the feeling “what will I do if I finish wk?”

That’s why I started bunpro almost 2 months ago (I postponed grammar studies for a long time, I should have started way earlier) so I have to decrease my pace in WK and get more retention and keep studying for a longer period.

1 Like

I’ve started to seriously learn Japanese about at the beginning of 2021. So my goal for 2021 was to build up a strong beginner-level base of grammar vocabulary and Kanji. And I dare say that I have succeded.
I am taking it slowly in order to prevent burnout. I have read from many people that they often start and then drop learning japanese for several reasons. And since I am prone to dropping something quickly if I get overwhelmed or bored or burned out I am taking it slowly.
I told myself: Everyday I do at least a bit, even if I don’t feel like it. So every day I did WaniKani, Bunpro and at least one assignment in my textbook. I am very proud that I could stick to that pace.

I can read and understand simple sentences with simple kanji, though I wished I had more motivation to simply learn more vocabulary. But every time I try to do that I tell myself: “Well you gotta learn the kanji for that eventually, so why not wait until WaniKani shows you the vocabs?” xD But still it’s not like I don’t learn any vocabs in the textbook lessons.

I also wanted to finish Genki 1 and that I did, I’m currently into Genki 2, and I have my eyes already at Quartet for the intermediate level ^-^

My goals for 2022 are: Learning more kanji of course, but also finishing Genki 2 and about half of the first Quartet book. Finishing at least one manga in japanese, and improving my listening comphrension (that’s my weakpoint at the moment)

8 Likes

I appreciate the advice.

What I don’t appreciate is the way you replied to me. I was positive and inclusive in my post and your comment was incredibly discouraging to me.

“you took 4 months to get to level 12”

Yes, it has taken me 4 months to get to level 12.
Yes, I am proud of the progress I’ve made so far.
And yes, anyone can do the math and see that doing 12 levels in 4 months would not add up to being level 60 by the end of 2022. In my initial post you can see that I didn’t even have a plan going into this and am just expressing my pride in making it this far.

I have been asking myself what I am going to do after WK from the start. It’s not the end for me, it is just the beginning. I am working on grammar and WK at my own pace and to do that by the end of 2022 I know I will have to work harder and faster. I don’t need anyone’s judgements, I am just trying to learn.

13 Likes

@Wildjinjer
I have been trying to keep a steady pace as much as i can! And I definitely need to check out the book clubs, I’m sure that’s a great resource!

@NicoleIsEnough
Yeah I know there are some people that try to do every lesson and review the second they are available and I cannot do that hahah. I am definitely ready to dive into grammar and start making some serious progress!

1 Like

My goal at the start of the year was to just “learn Japanese” which obviously cannot be measured. I guess I learned Japanese, just not everything! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think for 2022 I’d like to get to level 30. I started doing WaniKani around April but got serious around September. I’m about to hit level 9, so I think level 29-30 is a fair goal!

5 Likes

i was hoping to reach 60 in 2021 but i reset at level 41 because i was not loving it anymore. it was too hard, took too long and so i reset. i reset everything to 1, WK and bunpro.

goal this time is 2 weeks per level and 0/0 at least once per level. so far so good

i’ll restart grammar at level 10. very soon!

no hard goals other than that.

am in no rush anyway but eventually, i’d like to be able to read without checking every kanji!

10 Likes