Wanikani target stats

I just checked my https://www.wkstats.com/ recently to see how my accuracy is doing. For reading, meaning, and total, I am at 87%, 91%, and 89% respectively. How does everyone else’s compare? I have seen people with >95% across all three statistics so feel free to share tips and tricks to help retention.

1 Like

Before I started adhering to the SRS schedule, I had a score of low-mid 80s. I’ve now gotten into a better schedule of the 4 and 8 hr SRS periods in my last 5 levels, and since then I’ve definitely seen an increase in accuracy, and it keeps climbing a tenth or less almost everyday. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I definitely recommend reading “The Ultimate Guide to WK” and specifically parts 4 and 5; it really is the ultimate guide to WK. Thanks to that I now have a schedule of waking up around 6 or 7 for new lessons and then do reviews at 11/12 and again at 8 or 9. Do whatever works for you as long as you follow the SRS stages. Working with how the system is suppose to work to actually maximize your memory has done wonders. Besides that, reading is key and graded readers are perfect for that. And if you were already aware of all this, than great! As for tips and tricks…it’s common sense but: I’ve noticed I always get a higher score when i’m more patient with my reviews and don’t rush through them. Whenever I get stuck on a kanji/vocab, I try not to just give up immediately and say “Oh, I forgot this, too bad.” Once I identify the radicals I try my best to put the general gist of the mnemonic back together and maybe 95% of the time I will remember what it is. This way I get more things correct and it feels so much more fulfilling. So as many will also tell you: studying radicals is really important. I admittedly haven’t done it yet, but anki has all the wanikani radical flashcards on there to study if you like. Of course, one will not always have the time or mental energy to pause and go slow like this, but when you can, it’s always worth it. That’s my small pittance, it’s a really broad overview of everything but I still hope it helps you somehow!

5 Likes

Varies over time :wink:

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I do stick to a strict schedule but often find myself trying to rush through reviews which ends up in a lot of mistakes, so I’ll definitely keep this in mind.

2 Likes

Here’s mine, but keep in mind I restarted from level 5 down to level 1, so it’s easier for me to get the stuff right since I’ve already done it before.

It will take a sharp drop once I pass level 5 probably, but I plan on just doing lessons at a pace that I can remember things properly.

My accuracy graph would make Jackson Pollock proud

2 Likes

Of those 5734 incorrect readings, roughly 5500 are me writing じん for にん and にん for じん in words with 人 in them.

4 Likes

Depends on how fast you’re going. 100% accuracy isn’t all that impressive if you’re leveling once every year, 90% accuracy isn’t that bad when going as fast as possible. Got experience with kanji from before? How much time do you spend daily? It all depends.

But if someone say that they’re having a 95%+ accuracy and going full speed and only spending an hour roughly on WK daily, and have no previous knowledge, they’re probably lying and probably cheating.

1 Like

I started Wanikani with absolutely no japanese background except hiragana. But still… even now my recall on readings is absolutely awful :frowning:

everyone loves to show off how they are always getting 95% and what not…ignore that…not everyone can do that… doing this for 3.5 years now and never reset only barely level 40 … the leech problem just gets worse and to this day WK has not implemented a proper built in manager to suspend or ghost them…

just do what you can do…and try not to worry too much…honestly if more people that didn’t get those high percentages would tell others not everyone is a rockstar…more people would probably feel better about their “lower” accuracy…which I don’t believe is actually low…

6 Likes

Considering how new I am on WK sitting at level 9, I’m not sure how much my “advice” is really worth. But I’ve mentioned it in more detail in a previous thread that I am a firm believer (for me, at least) that WK is something that should be supplemental to something else. I can’t even imagine how hard WK would be personally if I was only using WK. I first put my focus into learning the spoken language and learning vocab which has made it a lot easier to remember readings and the meanings, so I think that skews my numbers a bit (over a year studying without writing). More importantly though, everything that shows up on WK I add to other SRS systems like Anki that are a lot more aggressive. I’m personally not a fan of the increments of WK, so this is something that works for me. Regardless, I don’t think the actual percentages of accuracy should matter that much. If I’m above 70% I’ll be content because that is still solid progress, there’s no right or wrong speed so just do you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I could be doing better but at least all my accuracies are above 90%

I don’t think it’s impossible for something like that to be true. I’m not really going full speed, taking about 8 to 9 days per level, but I do have an accuracy of over 98% without prior knowledge.

If you supply Wanikani with grammar studies and get more exposure to the language like that, do extra reviews for Kanji in order to really cement the hardest to memorize but most important part, all while going full speed, I think you can do it with an accuracy above 95%, especially if it’s not your first time working with mnemonics (it usually takes some practice to maximize their usefulness).

1 Like

WaniKaniChart

3 Likes

Nothing crazy, I feel like over 80% is probably good. As long as you’re staying consistent I don’t think accuracy is a big deal unless it’s very low

3 Likes

Tip: reset to level 1, your stats will look pretty good for a while after that:p (I reset from level 8 at the end of December after having dropped Wanikani for over half a year).

With everyone showing their 90+ stats, I’ll help lower that average a little bit:

1 Like

Mine doesn’t count, I think . . . but I’m getting anxiety over it dipping below 99. It knew it wouldn’t last though.

1 Like

Tends to get lower the more I progress. Probably because the Kanji get more complex.

But I think I just really take my time with the mnemonics and only continue once I really think it clicked.
In my opinion if a mnemonic doesn’t work for you you should create one for yourself and stick with it, if you aren’t sure if the WK one is gonna help you or not you will always be in this state of knowing neither mnemonic.
But even if you think at first you are not going to remember the WaniKani explanation just try to hammer it in and - for me at least - after a few repetitions I remember it quite well.

Hope it helps!

1 Like