Wanikani screenshots 📸

You didn’t ask me, but I use override without worrying by being very strict with burn reviews. Actually, when I get home I’m going to edit the script so I can’t use it on burn reviews.

7 Likes

Honestly, I’m always a bit worried about ignoring over some unknown nuance too, but I justify it in my head by pretending I’m a bit like a child. (Warning: I can never be brief even if my life depended on it)

See, I still have this vocabulary notebook from when I was 9, and back then, we had to learn how to spell 15 words the teacher set for us, then for extra credit, we could find 5 random words in the dictionary to look up, learn a definition, and write some example sentences. It was a pretty tall order for a bunch of kids to just memorize these 5 entirely random words, but my teacher was really more focused on the spelling bit and generally exposing us to new words. The reason I bring this up is because my example sentences I’d create for the random dictionary words proved that 9 year old me had no particular grasp of nuances back then…yet these days I think I’ve got a large vocabulary and a decent handle on how to wield the words I know. Good enough to now know, say, there’s a difference between lingerie and underwear anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tl;dr: I’m still a metaphorical child as far as learning Japanese goes. I’ll figure out nuances as I grow.

Or maybe I’m just lazy and like to abuse the ignore button and this whole post is just an elaborate excuse…:thinking:

7 Likes

This was fast… my first failed burn D:
Weird readings are weird. At least I didn’t fail 一日 because いちにち is a legit reading but I still feel like i cheated because I forgot ついたち. I actually remembered the mnemonic but I would have written something like つたつ and it would still be wrong so i played it safe and ‘cheated’ :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh what the hell, Wanikani! That is messed up!
Oh. Right. I knew that the entire time. Haha.

2 Likes

Yes, this exactly. Obviously nobody should go totally wild with the ignore button, but I think its dangers are far more imagined than real.

Being slavishly tied to the exact word choice WK presents in a meaning is as likely to hurt as to help in the long-run, since it’s not like WK is even attempting to teach us nuance. You’re going to learn that through actually experiencing the language.

This goes doubly for kanji “meaning”. There’s kinda no such thing as a kanji having a strict meaning, not really anyway, because when you’re actually using the language the kanji is only meaningful in terms of its use in a word. Even single-kanji words, which as we often see here are given different vocab meanings from their kanji meaning. I find that having a specific nuance in mind for a kanji meaning actually hurts me, because one kanji is frequently used in two different vocabulary with very different nuances.

(Of course there isn’t any real reason to use ignore for readings, outside of straight up typos.)

3 Likes

Done. If anyone wants to do the same you just need to replace line 169 WKO_ignoreAnswer(); with the following lines. This does, however, rely on having the SRS Indicator script installed to detect whether it’s a burn review. (actually, all it does is disable the hotkey, if it really was just a typo you can use your mouse and click the footer button)

if (!$('.progress-burned').length) {
    WKO_ignoreAnswer();
} else alert("You can't ignore burn items.");
5 Likes

By the time I got to the fast levels I had to stop being inflexible with the word choices or I’d go crazy with missed reviews.

And this kind of thing is just extremely annoying. Why wasn’t order a meaning in the first place when it’s the kanji we learned?

52%20PM

2 Likes

At least your very first burn wasn’t failed. That happened to me :smile:

Speaking of failed burns, this happened just now…

I wrote こんにちわ. Yes, it was a failed burn. And a combo breaker on top of that. This is pretty much my greatest success in failure.

7 Likes

I think this is a new record for me. Last 10 levels syndrome perhaps.

7 Likes

I always typed きょうは for this one…

6 Likes

ice_screenshot_20180714-092237

nervous

14 Likes

It’s a fuzzy line; sometimes it’s important; sometimes WK’s synonyms are just sorely lacking. In this case I would lean more to the former; most of what you’d say “the end” for in english would be おしまい (like at the end of a book) or おわり (“this is the end for you!!”). But in any case I would much rather add a synonym and take a wrong answer once than worry about ignore, personally.

You can remember this one with its etymology, 月立ち (き changing to い being still strange, admittedly).

2 Likes

Hmmm

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks, they have been very helpful :bowing_man:

1 Like

I think that would have been helpful if I learned 月立ち… but I don’t remember having learned that word :thinking:
Arguably better than an ambiguous mnemonic because the い doesn’t appear in that mnemonic at all (two touches → つたつ / つたち). Do people even use the reading ついたち for 一日 ?

It’s basically a completely different word meaning the first day of the month. 月立ち is not a word (anymore), but yeah, it sure would have been helpful for WK to use it as the mnemonic instead of “touching”. I learned it from this etymology dictionary.

2 Likes

I guarantee that a month ago I would have gotten the majority of these wrong. I was so worried I was going to regret my decision to reset but stuff like this is all the proof I need to know I did the right thing. I had over 100 leeches from these levels previously. Now I have three, two of which have been typos on my part! Feels good :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Funny story, two days ago, for the first time, I discovered there was a “Lessons” Tab on KaniWani. I’d always seen it and clicked on it, but it always said something like “Nothing to see here” or something like that. But I never noticed that the button moves over to the top right of the screen for you to start lessons. Up until this point I was just doing five or six reviews whenever it let me. o.o

Not too bad for a sick man :thinking:

4 Likes

task + thing/action = errand/business

IMG_1620

6 Likes

12 Likes