Wanikani memes

i’ve heard that children shout 「くわばら、くわばら!」 when there’s thunder, though i’m not sure.
Jisho at least thinks it’s common (桑 as well)

(also it seems to be a somewhat common last name)

3 Likes

A mulberry is a tree. Kuwabara is a man.

4 Likes

'Tis a mulberry
It has mulberry berries. ベリベリ tasty!

9 Likes

They are also called “тутовень” in some dialects. But this berry is virtually unknown to Russians living in colder areas. T_T

2 Likes

Mulberry trees do not grow everywhere so it makes sense that the word may not exist in every language.

However, Japanese mulberry trees are used to cultivate silk and their wood is also often used in traditional crafting (for example 茶の湯 sets) so I would say that they do have some importance in Japanese culture. Not as much as 桜 :cherry_blossom: of course :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

it’s also the crest of some families as well, Category:Kaji mon (Japanese crests of Paper mulberry) - Wikimedia Commons

2 Likes
I assume you know Russian, so

桑 это шелковица, выше уже скидывали картинку. У нас в Киеве и за городом везде растёт, всё лето под деревом куча чёрных ягод. Ягоды очень сладкие, многим нравится, но мне слишком приторные. Ещё очень руки пачкают.
Также, для азии это дерево исторически важное, так как его листья ест тутовый шелкопряд, из коконов которого шёлк делают.

1 Like

38 Likes

sabbath

More like saっbath

20 Likes

[a]
on’yomi: ay
kun’yomi: ay, ah

[b]
on’yomi: bee, be
kun’yomi: b, be

10 Likes

Don’t forget the radicals: I, ↄ

And the mnemonic:
You were stung by something! What was it? You look around to find it.
You find a bee. Oh, I see (ↄ)!" you exclaim.

12 Likes

I remember this as a critique of traditional kanji learning methods where you just rote memorize a list of kanji and their readings at once, without vocab, mnemonics, etc.

1 Like

for the letter “b”, it would be the rotated “q”, or the mirrored “d” or “p”

3 Likes

33 Likes

I still check kanjidamage every time wk gives me a horrible mnemonic. legendary website (except when it pulls a gex and references some usa celebrity I couldn’t give half a shit about)

4 Likes

Welp, that’s it, time to quit, the river pork has come

Edit: Haven’t been here in a while and now I see there’s been similar cases before. Stay strong, brothers and sisters, don’t unsubscribe just yet.

20 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, that river pork managed to get quite controversial very very quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

84 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one

3 Likes