Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

Spent the last few minutes trying to remember what the situation that brought up the word was, and I think it might actually have been while planning for the Hi, Friends! “What do you want to be?” lesson, with the teacher referencing kids talking about their dreams.

So, an identical situation to @Leebo’s ramen shop. Which makes me wonder if, with its slightly more romantic/formal nuance, it might be the more common “talk about” verb for dreams or other lofty ideas. Wondering if a high-level speaker can confirm or deny.

1 Like

Yeah the vocab itself is rarely useful, but they are easier to remember. That’s why i supplement WaniKani with “iKnow!” that app actually teaches me useful vocabulary. Only problem is, is that it’s rote. But WK and iKnow together is amazing.

1 Like

If you look at the monolingual definition, there’s an emphasis on “having someone listen” (as opposed to interacting) and there being an order to what you say.

So, it’s most typically for stories and monologues, not conversation, etc.

1 Like

That makes sense, then, I guess, for sharing (telling others about) your dreams in a kind of confessional/non-conversational manner. Thanks for the detail. I should start referencing monolingual dictionaries more often for nuance.

So, “talking,” but not necessarily “conversing.”

Learn all the Kanji. Outdated and new sure, NOW there using this new Kanji however if you crack open and old book your gonna be in for a shock.

I’ve lived in Japan for less time than you but Ive studied Japanese longer and recently took to this app because its fun to study Kanji on the go and etc. Unless you have a dedicated fluent Japanese teacher leaning over your shoulder every time you open a textbook your going to learn some outdated Kanji now and again no matter what method you choose.

2 Likes

I hope no one was talking about useless kanji, otherwise the Japanese Ministry of Education would like to hear about it :wink:

About the vocab: compared to other courses the vocabulary in WK is especially a big plus because meaning and reading mnemonics are provided. Other resources just throw some words at you, it’s easy to cover more vocab then.

3 Likes

I find it a little ironic how Koichi writes that and even specifically mentions 乙, but it’s a level 57 kanji in wanikani : P

2 Likes

I noticed that too :slight_smile: But in this case I think it’s explained by the fact that WK was originally just lv 1-50, so it wasn’t originally included at all.

Still, yeah, it seems WK didn’t turn out quite as simple as that text made it sound. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

甘 was one too that I thought should be added earlier but its 30 something.

Some of these are a mystery~

1 Like

I agree with my boiii here. Fuse iKnow, Duolingo and wanikani together and ya got a winning combination

And when you take out duolingo, you have the winninger combination!

EDIT: Original message didn’t even mention duolingo LOL

5 Likes

yeah I know it didnt, I can read. But im saying ADD duolingo also for a winning combo.
Its super good for revision when your waiting for the next wanikani update.

This thread has convinced me to start using iKnow, as, despite having some test books and taking notes of new words I encounter, vocab is by far the weakest element of my learning.

Yeah get it dude! iKnow! was super helpful when I was getting my JLPT3

1 Like

Ah yes, we disagree.

Yeah iKnow, memrise, and anki/houhou are pretty big game changers for vocab. Boils down to preference, but I’d say whichever one you go with will serve you well.

2 Likes

Clearly. Either way all comes down to how you study and what your trying to learn. As someone on his way to JLPT2 I find Duolingo to be super useful for base revision structure and vocabulary.

But… to each their own.

I dunno, I feel the need to be right in every situation so I’ll probably be taking this one to the grave. Normally a thumb war would settle it, but this is the internet.

13 Likes

Sorry dude no victors when it comes to choice, I guess the whoever holds the highest level JLPT wins this one LOL

Doesn’t democracy do that?

Self assessed N1. Checkmate.

5 Likes

This is a kanji website, and I don’t know of anyone with a higher Kanken certificate than me, so I vote for no Duolingo.

19 Likes